pretty please

basically based on some of JJ's lines from season one, before and during the fight with topper at the kegger's. but it's set after season three.

it's short and sweet.
let me know what you think :)

TW: sexual tension, angst, little bit of smut

———

JJ had spent the day fishing, working on his bike and trying to convince the others to go to the kegger at night. There's no special occasion, like a free beer night or a holiday to celebrate, they just hadn't been to one in a long time. It used to be one of the pouges usual hangout place, drinking, dancing and talking to oblivious tourists. Some keggers were for pouges only but it was usually a mix of the three tribes, pouges, kooks and tourists. JJ had asked them all but none of the pouges were up for it. John B gave his usual bad excuse of being busy with Sarah cause "they never hang out alone", which is complete bullshit. It's rather the complete opposite, hanging out alone is all they do, it's actually a bit annoying. Cleo had promised to help the Heyward's with the shop and grocery drop offs, which isn't an bad excuse but still bullshit. Pope didn't feel like hanging around drunk and high people when he'd rather study, which is also complete bullshit. That left Kiara, who ended her shift at The Wreck early and didn't have any other plans after that. They could've gone to the kegger's just the two of them but by the time JJ had asked everyone (about 20 times including trying to convince them for about 30 minutes each) and got rejected, he didn't really feel like it anymore.

And neither did Kiara to be honest.

Which left them both to just hang out at the chateau. Sarah and John B were out with the twinkie doing god knows what, so the house was left empty. The two of them didn't do anything out of the ordinary, just playing some cards and smoking a joint, passing it back and forth between them. There was a comfortable atmosphere for the most part, consisting of the two of them laughing and making small jokes, but in some moments it felt less comfortable and more like they needed to address the elephant in the room.

They hadn't talked yet. About them and everything that's happened between them. They had both said "I love you" in the dark in cabin six, kissed even. Then they had fallen back into the whole treasure hunt and didn't really have time or the chance to focus on anything else. When they finally got back to the OBX, neither had taken the initiative to talk or even mention that they should. All the pouges had fallen back to their usual routines after a few weeks of sorting everything out. You could say that they prioritised that, finding a stability in their lives, but to be completely honest that's just a really bad excuse.

It isn't like neither of them doesn't want to talk. Kiara wouldn't want anything else than to talk about it, talk about them and what's happened, talk about how they'll move forward with it and what it all means. She wants closure, needs it, almost desperately craves it in a way. JJ wants the same thing, just that there's a voice in his head that keeps on telling him that she deserves more. It tells him how he can't give her want she needs or wants and that he's going to ruin it eventually. Although the voice did get less intense and frequent when they shared that intimate moment in cabin six, they still appear.

But there's no need to tell Kiara about it because she already knows, and JJ probably does as well deep down but the voice keeps distracting him from the truth. Which is why Kiara hasn't done or said anything yet, the last thing she wants is for him to feel pressured into facing his feelings. So she didn't act on it for weeks. And it was the hardest thing she's ever done. Cause when she's this close to finally be with him, she can't. She doesn't know how to bring up the conversation, when to do it or even if she should. Even though she desperately wants to.