Chapter 2: The Cursed Death Bringer

Solaris slowly opened his eyes. He sat up on his futon, which doubled as his bed, and stared at his left hand. The cursed mark of the fell dragon that haunted his entire life, he despised it. He got up from his futon and walked towards the bathroom. He lived in a studio. It wasn't large by any means and it didn't need to be. He lived alone and was always going to be alone. After washing his face, he looked at his cracked mirror, the only broken item in his studio. He hated seeing his own face.

In a world where monsters and magic exist, people started to believe every little legend. It was foretold that the end of the world would come when the one bearing the left eye of the ouroboros was brought into this world. The foretold individual was none other than Solaris. From the beginning, his life wasn't easy. His mother was killed by fanatics believing she gave birth to a demon. He was ostracized his entire life. His only comrades or friends were killed in action, each on a mission that he was a part of. His infamy and stigma only grew even more from each death. After so many died, he decided to do something considered suicide. He decided that he would no longer be a part of any guild, but instead be a solo hunter and complete hunts alone.

He opened his holographic bulletin board. There were multiple bounties listed. They ranged from your standard giant rats to slaying wyverns. He sighed, selected a contract about slaying a cyclops in the east, and closed the board. He opened his cupboard and pulled out some instant oatmeal. This was the mundane life of the man known as "Ragnarok."

DING DONG, his doorbell rang. He raised his brow and headed towards the door. He wasn't expecting a guest or anything in particular. He opened the door and there stood the woman he saved last night. "He..hello." She politely greeted him and bowed.

"Hi," his response was cold and distant.

"Mr. Stjarna sir," she paused for a second to gather herself, "th..thank you saving me last night."

"Just doing my job." He glanced at her and shifted his gaze quickly. "How did you find out where I live?"

"Oh, uh, the officer from last night. He told me where you lived." She looked around anxiously. Solaris sighed and motioned for her to come in. "Thank you," she thanked him again as she entered his flat. He nodded in response and pointed at the couch. "Take a seat and get comfortable I guess." The woman looked around his flat. It was tidy, kept, and clean. It wasn't the type of home you'd expect from someone whose job is essentially pest control but on a much grander scale, especially if that someone was named Ragnarok. She smiled softly and quietly giggled. "So," Solaris pulled up his chair from his dining table, "what brings you here?"

"The officer from last night, Sergeant Blaze, said you could use some company, sooooo I'm here."

Solaris facepalmed and shook his head, "Fucken," he sighed and didn't finish his sentence. "Look, I'm not trying to make any friends okay. I appreciate you stopping by miss..."

"Blossom, Lilly Blossom."

"Miss Blossom. I appreciate you coming by, but I don't need nor want company. So how about you-,"

"I'm here for official matters as well," she interrupted.

"Like what?" Solaris raised his brow.

"It's my sister," Lilly began to appear somber, "she's been missing for three days."

"Tough luck, she's probably dead by now."

"She's not! I know she isn't." Lilly started searching her bag, "I have proof. Ah, here." She pulled out a data chip. "Insert this into your holo." Solaris rolled his eyes and shrugged. He took the chip, and inserted it into his holographic bulletin board. The data took about two seconds to download and show on screen. It was data of her sister, rather who took her. "Raiders?" Solaris asked.