Prayers

During class today Pope had been taken out to speak to somebody. He had shown us he got a letter but the strange thing is, it had the wheat symbol on it. So we're now in the library trying to read who it's from.

"Read it out loud." Kiara tells JJ as he holds the letter in his hands and scans over the writing.

"I can't ready cursive." He tells us before Kiara snatches it out of his hands and reads out loud herself.

'Dear Mr Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 king street, Charleston at 8pm sharp tonight. Please come alone.
Regards, C, Limbrey.'

"Charleston? That's like an eight hour drive plus the ferry."

"If we wanted to get there tonight we'd have to leave like right now." I tell them.

"Material evidence? What does that even mean?" JJ asks.

"Means he can clear my brothers name." I tell him with a bright smile.

"Look if we get this, this time. We're not giving it to Shoupe." Pope tells us.

"Fuck Shoupe I'm not giving him shit."

"I'm not sure but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the royal merchant."
___________________
After Pope, JJ and I decided we were going too Charleston tonight, Kiara was the only one that had to tell her parents.

Which at this point in time was not going so well.

"They're taking it really well." JJ states as we watch from the car, Kiara's parent just yelling at her.

"How'd you get this rig? I know your old man didn't let you have it." JJ asks Pope while we continue to wait for Kiara.

Pope was driving and since it was only a three seater. Kiara was next to Pope and I was in between JJ's legs. We did think it wouldn't be the comfiest since it was an eight hour drive but we made ourselves pretty comfortable and I got to cuddle him the entire time. So it's a win win for me.

"I think I'm rubbing off on you Pope, lying to your old man, stealing his truck. Kinda sounds familiar."

"Look at your life Kiara!" We hear her mom yelling at Kiara ad she makes her way down the stairs and opens the door to the car, while JJ and I stand outside waiting for her to get in.

"It's good to see yall Mr and Mrs Carrera." JJ tells them with a small wave of his hand which I follow.

"I promise to have her back at a reasonable hour and safe." Pope yells at them as we all pile into the car.

"What are you doing?" She questions him.

"If you wanna go then go. But if you don't come back at a proper time, then don't come back at all." Her mother yells before walking inside.

"This shit would be so much easier without parents." She says which results in JJ and I making eye contact and then going silent.

" I mean least she showing she cares about you." I add in with a small smile.

"Wish she didn't care so much and just let me live my life." She responds. I just go quiet and lean back against JJ in response as we finally start the drive to Charleston.
_________________
"My parents are so paranoid of me being a pogue, like it's the worst thing that could ever happen." Kiara tells us.

"Heard they got good weed at boarding school." JJ tries to lighten the mood. As he always does.

"I'm not going to boarding school. They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up and throw me in a van."

"Be careful Kie, don't wanna jinx anything. With your parents who knows what they'll do to you." I comment.

"Hey Kie have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?" Pope questions.

"Like twenty million times. Some random lady at a hotel keeps answering." She tells us.

"My moneys on the fact JB probably stole the phone then." I suggest, knowing my brother to well.

"What Pope are you gonna be today?" Kiara questions holding out a joint for him to take.

"I'm good trying to focus." He brushes him off.

"Good Pope."

"Boring Pope."

"I'll take that." JJ says grabbing the joint out of Kiara's hands and taking a hit before passing it to me.
_________________
"Guys I've read this thing a thousand times. It makes no sense." Kiara starts by telling us. "I mean, the Limbreys on its own, half of Charleston."

"Why Pope specifically. That's the other creepy thing."

"Please come alone." That's hella sus" Kiara points out.

"Oh shit Pope maybe you should pull over." I tell him as something in the front squeaks and the  car starts smoking really bad.

"That's a lot of smoke even for your dad's truck."

"Pope I got sensitive lungs man!" JJ yells as Pope attempts to pull it over.

"It's gonna blow up" Kiara starts freaking out trying to push JJ and I out of the car fast.

"It's not gonna blow Kie relax." I tell her as I hop out, followed by JJ.

"You might wanna reschedule your meeting tonight Pope." JJ tells him taking a look at the bonnet.

"My dad's gonna kill me." He breaths out, putting his hands on his knees.

"Yeah uh he might."
__________________
It's a little late at night now and we've pulled in to a gas station to help fix this car cause otherwise Pope will probably be shot.

"Hey Kie, you okay?" I ask her seeing her down and face all mopey. I sat next to her in the back of the car while JJ stands on the outside.

"My mom is so worried that I'm gonna be a pogue that she's willing to send me to boarding school." She explains sadly.

"Well I guess that's what you get for hanging out with the wrong crowd kie" JJ tells her.

"I mean I'm not gonna go. It's too late anyways. I already am who I am."

"Ain't all that bad. Just look at that guy over there." JJ points to Pope talking to another guy. "He would do anything for us. That's a pogue if ever I've seen one. Bone deep. And so would Lilah."

"You got people for you everywhere Kie. You got a group of people who would do anything for you." I tell her softly. "Even if that means coming to rescue you from boarding school. I'll happily tag along for that ride." I laugh with her.