10 - Medical station

You decide that, even if you can't find much in there, it's still going to be better than nothing. And it never hurts to find out what's going on. Maybe it'll be of some use to you.

You continue to crawl forward, and as you pass by the other rooms, you find soldiers inside the prison firing at anything that rushes towards them and making your ears kind of bleed from the loud, piercing noises of the guns. Something about the ease of the way that they're dealing with these things- Well, the way that they alreayd know exactly what they need to do, gives you a bad feeling. You shake that thought way, you don't have time to waste on conspiracy theories. You realize that this is the best opportunity to move faster among the chaos without getting spotted, so you move as fast as you can.

You arrive there relatively quickly. Once you get there you reposition yourself feet first and, as hard as you can, kick down the gate to force it open. It takes a bit to do so, but you manage and it drops down for you. You slide your legs out of the entrance and slowly shimmy your way down. Holding the edge of the opening, you slowly but surely try to let yourself down on a hospital bed strew out below the vent. You realize that the farthest you can get down barely brings you down on the bed. You let go of the  edge and slowly ease your way onto the bed, though you almost stumble when you feel the bed moving because of the wheels. You're just in the middle of getting down from the stretcher when you hear the banging of the infected on the door.

You have at most five minutes to find what you can and get out of there before the infected beat down the barricades placed on either of the entrances of the infirmary.

Quickly, you run around the room trying to find anything, anything at all that you could take with you. But all of the computers are shut down and all you can find is maybe a small medkit inside of a cupboard and some doctor's notes, which you figure is good enough. You take those both and stuff them inside a small backpack you find inside the otherwise empty room.

Shit! One of the window barricades is breaking down and you know that there's a nearby vent that you could use. There's another emergency exit that you could use, but it's barricaded and you really aren't sure you want to know what's behind the door. You quickly dash to the door, and pull out your shiv to unscrew the the bolts on them. Your hands tremble in a panic and you slip up a few times, your face sweating and your head spinning while your body screams at you to go! go! go!

You rip off the vent as soon as the screws are even remotely loose enough, and you hastily throw it to your side as you make it inside with the backpack. You can hear the breaking of wood and clanging of metal frames pressed against the one of the doors onto the floor, followed by footsteps and the howls of the ensuing horde. Clank! Goes the metal walls inside the medical station, and even though you're 90% sure they can't get you inside te vent, you still fearfully get as far from that room as you can. Relief fills you once you get far enough, and your pace slows down to conserve your energy for when you get into another life threatening situation, which you're pretty sure is going to be the new norm.

You aimlessly crawl with all your might, but after a while of trying to feel your way through you've finally made it to a vent that leads outside.

Continue to 13