Chapter 9: Movie Night

Sitting at his desk, staring out into the night sky, Adrien sat with his thoughts, weighing heavily on his heart. Tapping his pen anxiously on the desk, he finally asked his question. "Why is it that Luka has to hang around Marinette so much? It feels like he knows how much it bothers me". 

Before Plagg could respond, Adrien swiveled around in his chair to face his Kwami. Adding on, "But he knows she doesn't like him..." 

"Yet that's not stopping him" Plagg responded. 

Frustrated with the lack of information, Adrien groaned in response, flopping down onto his bed. 

The one thing he wasn't sure of was who exactly Marinette liked. What if she does like Luka, but isn't wanting to date right now and he knows, wait, no, that doesn't make sense. What if she likes Kim, or Max, or... Nathaniel.  Maybe it is him. There's no doubt he likes her. I mean c'mon, Evilillistrator! 

"You know blondie, Luka may be able to visit her during the day. But someone else has the ability to see her every night" Plagg said, hinting about a certain superhero. 

With his head shooting up, his eyes wide, Adrien was given hope. "You're right! Plagg, claws out!"

"I wasn't done eating my chees..." Plagg began saying, quickly being cut off after being sucked up into his ring. 

... 

Chat leaped through Paris, light on his feet. Quickly maneuvering from house to house, landing on a terrace balcony right across from Marinette's. 

There she was. Standing, leaning against the railing of her balcony, was Marinette. Her hair was down, left to blow in the wind. A cozy blanket wrapped around her pj's to break the cool wind from this chilly night. 

Right before making himself known, a chill ran along the back of Chat's neck. Moving his head quickly over to the park, he could've sworn someone was there. But whoever was there quickly disappeared. 

Pushing that to the back of his mind, he set off to do what he came here to do. "Don't you just look Purrrrfectly cozy tonight", Chat said, having vaulted over to the bluenette. 

"I was starting to think you weren't coming" Marinette said, a soft smile grazing her face. 

"Oh princess, you wound me" Chat responded, dramatically pretending to be hit. 

Marinette couldn't help but blush at the nickname. Scrunching her nose, trying to rid it of the reddish tint,  she playfully hit him on the arm. "Silly kitty"... her eyes staring directly into his own. Her skin glowing from the soft light of the moon, the red dusting along her cheeks, Chat could feel his heart beat grow faster. "... soooo, do you wanna watch a movie?" she questioned. 

And how could he refuse. 

Following her into the house, Chat sat himself down on Marinette's bed as she grabbed her laptop. Before he knew it she was already back up in the bed, pulling up the movie. 

... 

The smell of freshly baked cookies and macaroons lingered in the air. Spiderman No Way Home was their movie for the evening. 

When Ned opened the portal trying to find Peter Parker and it led to an alley way, Marinette got so excited, that she grabbed onto Chat's arm, trying to contain that excitement. "Watch!" she was saying to Chat while pointing at the screen. 

Chat was too busy trying to control his breathing in a feeble attempt to lower his heartrate after she grabbed onto his arm. 

... 

Towards the end of the movie, when Andrew Garfield's spiderman cached MJ, Chat noticed a lack of squealing and fangirling. In fact, he had been so caught up in the movie, he didn't see that Marinette had fallen asleep. 

Her head rested on his shoulder. In an attempt to get Marinette comfy in her bed, Chat slowly leaned back where he sat, hoping he wouldn't wake her up while trying to get her head onto her pillow. 

What he didn't account for was her moving in her sleep. As he laid back, Marinette moved her head from his shoulder, finding a comfortable resting spot on Chat's chest. Out of shock, Chat's eyes went wide. Not a single thought was processing in his brain. And that brain almost spontaneously combusted as her arm wrapped around his waist. 

Now very aware of their position, Chat's face burned up. Oh my gosh, is this real? She would probably want me to wake her up, right? But she looks so peaceful... and beautiful... ughhhhhh, what do I do?!  His mind raging war with itself. Should he stay or should he go. 

As Chat, he would've stayed, but as Adrien, Nathalie would find him missing in the morning. Against every fiber of his being, he made the attempt to sit up. 

"Chat..." was the only word he heard, very sleepily.

Hearing her say his name like that, even if it was his alter ego's name, made even Adrien stay. His mind desperately wondering what was going on inside her head. Is she dreaming about me? I guess a cat nap wouldn't hurt. 

... 

A tiny fist of furry awoke Adrien from a very peaceful slumber. "Oww, Plagg, what was that for?" Adrien questioned his kwami, wondering what was with the harsh wakeup. 

But the weight on his chest hit Adrien with the realization that the amazing 'dream' where Marinette fell asleep on him while watching a movie with her wasn't just a dream, and it was in fact really happening. 

That realization causing his heart beat to quicken, seeing the way Marinette's hair sloppily fell over her face, letting in peaks of sunlight across the bridge of her nose. He could feel every spot she clung onto, like he was a human teddy bear, a position he'd gladly accept for her. 

Plagg could see the lovestruck smile stuck on his holders face as Adrien came to terms with the situation in front of him. However, he seemed to be blind to the fact that he was Adrien, not Chat Noir. 

"Loverboy, ready for her to find out your identity?" Plagg teased. 

Eyes wide, Adrien realized he needed to get out of there as fast as humanly possible. Because there's no way he could transform with her laying on top of him. 

Remembering how it felt to be here, in this moment, Adrien then made the hard discission, and reluctantly, but carefully, slid out from under Marinette. 

Grabbing her phone, he jumped off of the bed, and plugged it in to the nearest charger he could find. Same with her computer. Then quickly he transformed, remembering she could wake up at any moment. 

Writing a note was the last thing on his list. And with that, he sneaked around Marinette, took one last look at her, and lept off into the morning sky. Humming the same tune that had been stuck in his head ever since New York. Dancing with Marinette in the moonlight.