sixty| things hidden, things seen

February 2011
• • •

Harry took off his coat and draped it over the coat rack near the entrance. He kicked off his boots, leaving them by the door, and made his way deeper into the house, heading for the kitchen. Inside, Winona sat at the table, enjoying a cup of tea while engrossed in a book. When Harry spotted her, he grinned and gave her a friendly pat on the shoulder. She glanced up from her reading, returning his smile, as he settled into the chair beside her.

"Hey, how was the orchard?" she inquired.

"It was okay," he fibbed. His efforts on the orchard had been minimal. He was struggling with the remnants of a cold and plagued by thoughts and visions of Edward, but he hadn't disclosed the latter to his wife. "I was thinking, maybe we could head into town for lunch. A change of scenery might be nice. What do you think?"

Winona nodded enthusiastically. "That sounds great. But are you sure? You're still unwell, aren't you?"

"Not really. I'm alright. I promise you."

She appeared skeptical but nodded nonetheless. Returning to her book, Harry gently closed it and took her hands in his. His expression held sincerity tinged with guilt, leaving her puzzled.

"I'm truly sorry for my recent behavior, love. What I did was unforgivable. I want you to know I feel remorseful, and I'm committed to being a good father to our baby."

She offered a gentle smile. "I understand, Harry. We all have our moments. You don't have to be strong all the time. Sometimes, I forget you're as human as I am. It's alright."

Planting a kiss on his cheek, he felt his emotions well up. "I love you, birdie," he whispered.

"I love you too, Harry."

Abandoning her half-full cup of tea and the book on the kitchen table, she accompanied him upstairs. Harry assisted her in preparing for their trip to town. Winona opted for a comfortable pair of jeans and a cozy knit sweater. Meanwhile, Harry was already dressed and ready, needing no alterations.

Seated on the vanity stool, she relaxed while he gently brushed her hair. Occasionally, he glanced at her reflection in the mirror, offering a smile. However, this time, when his eyes shifted toward the mirror, it wasn't Winona's visage that greeted him. Instead, Edward's malevolent grin stared back at him. Startled, Harry staggered backward, inadvertently dropping the comb.

Winona spun around, her concern evident. "Harry, are you alright?"

He swallowed hard, comprehending the situation. Edward's face had vanished. Taking a deep breath, he roughly rubbed his palms over his face. "Yeah, I'm okay. Sorry, I... I thought I saw something just for a moment..."

"Something like what?" inquired his wife.

He shook his head and retrieved the brush, placing it on the vanity. "Nothing. Let's head out."

She slipped into her coat and slid her feet into her boots before they departed. Meanwhile, downstairs, Harry slipped on his coat. Together, they stepped into his pickup, fastening their seatbelts. Throughout the ride, Winona's gaze kept returning to him, her concern lingering, as Harry maneuvered the vehicle out of the driveway and onto the road. His hands firmly gripped the steering wheel, his attention fixed solely on the road ahead. 

Edward was gone, deceased. These illusions were merely his mind's deception. He had to recuperate, to clear his mind. Sobriety was imperative.

Unable to contain her worry any longer, she began, "Harry, are you sure you're okay to drive?"