eighteen| space between

August 2010• • •

August 2010
• • •

Winona was plagued with uncertainty as she mulled over Kade's proposal for Wes to undertake a spot of work to earn some extra cash. Having taken up lodgings at Kade's abode for the past two days, she was beginning to feel a sense of unease, fearing that their location could be compromised by the ever-looming threat of police intervention. To add to her growing apprehension, she couldn't help but notice how Wes had seemingly abandoned all caution, displaying an alarming lack of concern over the potential danger. It was as though he had made himself at home, his relaxed demeanor a stark contrast to Winona's frayed nerves. It was difficult for her to ignore the nagging feeling that something was amiss.

As they readied themselves for bed in the guest room, Winona summoned up the courage to broach the subject of the tasks that Wes was performing for Kade. Although Kade remained as affable as ever towards her, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being treated like a mere child, excluded from the weighty discussions that occurred between him and Wes. Only this morning, she had overheard a hushed conversation in the kitchen, in which her boyfriend had divulged intimate details about her past, mentioning Harry, which left her feeling vulnerable and exposed. Her trust had been betrayed. The sensation of unease lingered long after the conversation had ended, a palpable reminder of her growing suspicions.

"Why're you looking at me like that?" Wes asked, standing on the other side of the neatly made bed.

Without missing a beat, she replied curtly, "No reason," before adding, "Are you gonna sleep or..."

Wes raised an eyebrow, slightly taken aback. "Yeah, what else would I do?"

Summoning her courage, Winona pushed aside her discomfort and posed the question that had been gnawing at her. "What does Kade make you do for him?"

He looked at her quizzically, his confusion apparent. "What?"

"I hear you and Kade talking all the time about working. I want to know what kind of work you're doing. Or if it's even work at all," Winona said in a torrent of words, her fear and uncertainty driving her on. She avoided his eyes, as though they had the power to penetrate her brave front. "Can you tell me?" she finally asked.

With a nonchalance that only served to aggravate her, Wes pulled the duvet back and climbed into bed, feigning indifference to Winona's question. "That's not important. Just come to bed."

Crossing her arms stubbornly, Winona's eyes narrowed in frustration. "You honestly think if you tell me it's not important, I'll stop asking? And how can you say come to bed when you're fully dressed to go somewhere? I'm not an idiot, Wes," she retorted, determined not to let the matter go. Though their time together had been brief, she knew him well enough to know that he never wore clothes to bed, preferring to sleep in his underwear or nothing at all. The fact that he was lying there in jeans and a t-shirt was highly unusual.