twenty-four| almost

August 2010• • •

August 2010
• • •

Harry had been making his way out of the care home, his feet moving with a slow, shuffling gait that spoke of his nervousness. The sun was high in the sky, casting a warm glow over the world around him. As he walked, he absentmindedly fiddled with the loose change in his pocket, lost in thought. It was then that his cell phone rang, the jarring sound cutting through the peaceful ambiance. Harry paused, his hand automatically reaching for the device in his back pocket. He pulled it out, squinting at the screen to see another unknown number flashing across it.

He knew these incoming calls only came from one person: Winona. The last time he had heard from her was when he had told her to leave the house she had been staying in. For the last two days, she had gone incognito as he had suggested. But now that she was calling, he knew that something was amiss.

Harry hesitated for a moment before answering, a sense of unease beginning to gnaw at his stomach. He knew that Winona was either close to Homestead or in trouble. He fervently hoped it wasn't the latter, but he braced himself for the worst as he brought the phone to his ear.

"Winona?" He was technically breaking the law by talking to a fugitive, but she was the farthest thing from one. She was still a naive young girl.

"Hi," her small voice squeaked in his ear. "Sorry for calling you so often."

"Don't apologize. I'm glad you called. I thought something happened to you." He walked through the parking lot to his pickup.  "Are you sure you don't want me to come to get you? I could drive to wherever you are."

"No, I'll be okay on my own for now. I don't want to drag you into my mess."

"I'm already involved, Winona." Harry's thoughts turned to the investigation into Joanne's mother's death. It was a subject that he had been trying to avoid, even in his own mind. He knew that Joanne was a formidable opponent, and he couldn't shake the feeling that she was getting closer to finding proof of his involvement. He had been monitoring her movements, trying to stay one step ahead of her. But it had been a while since he had heard from her, and he couldn't help but wonder if she had stumbled upon something that had led her to a breakthrough.

"I care about you, alright? I just want to make sure you return safely. Then we can fix all your problems together."

"I'll be in Iowa in two days it seems. Not much longer."

Harry arrived at his truck and fished for his keys. He pushed a button and unlocked the doors before getting in. Now that he was out of earshot, he said, "I can't wait to see you. I miss you."

He didn't have to see her to know what she was thinking or feeling. They had been together for so long that he just knew. "I miss you too. We won't be separated for much longer. I'm almost home."