twenty-five| keep your promises

August 2010• • •

August 2010
• • •

The bus arrived in Iowa at nine in the morning.

It had been Dana that shook her awake after she had spent the rest of the night asleep in her seat. When she fluttered her eyes open and gazed at the scenery outside of the window, that was when she realized that she was home. Home. There was something about this place that looked, felt, and smelt familiar to her. Around her, she heard the hustle of a few passengers filing out of their seats to exit the bus. It seemed as if there was a buzz in the air and everyone was excited to finally step foot on the ground.

"You better get going before the bus leaves," Dana informed her, a smile gracing her lips. "I still got a few more stops before I get to my destination."

Winona suddenly recalled that some people still had quite the distance to go. She never asked Dana where she was going, nor did she find herself caring once it clicked that she was only hours away from Harry. She would have to call him on a payphone and ask him to pick her up. After almost a month of running and hiding, she could finally have some rest. Though it probably wouldn't last long because she was still a wanted fugitive.

"Right," Winona responded, feeling spaced out and overwhelmed. "Um, thanks for waking me up."

The blonde girl's smile widened. "No biggie. It was nice sitting next to you, Ella."

"Um, same here." Dana's presence had been irritating at first, but now that they were parting ways, she learned to be appreciative. "I should go... it's uh..."

"Yeah." She slowly got up out of her seat and dusted off the crumbs of food that had fallen onto her shirt. "Can you get through?"

Winona stood up too and picked up the bag next to her feet that she had brought along with her. The weight of the knife inside was still so heavy. She wondered how Harry would help her discard it. "Bye, Dana."

"Bye-bye, Ella!" she beamed. Winona caught sight of the sheen layer that formed over her blue eyes but chose not to mention it. Was she supposed to feel bad that she was leaving a stranger behind? She hoped not because she felt nothing except anticipation for her future meeting with Harry.

Holding the bag to her chest, she eased by the seats and Dana. "Good luck with everything."

Dana sat back down in her seat. "You too."

Winona didn't look back. She was much too distracted by her own thoughts. This is actually happening. Her wide eyes darted left and right, fearful that she would be recognized, panicked that she could be sent to prison at any moment, and relieved that she was where she belonged. She walked behind an older couple as they made their way out of the bus, her heart shuddering and her spine tingling. The humid morning air was more breathable than the atmosphere of the bus. With each inhale and exhale, Winona continued to move as discreetly as she could, keeping her head bowed slightly while she searched for a payphone.