twenty-three| runaway

June 1991• • •

June 1991
• • •

Harry was out of the school building five minutes after the bell rang. He didn't have many belongings, to begin with, so he skipped his locker and went straight outside, touched by the sizzling air, marking the last day of the school year. The seniors had ditched today and their latest prank had pissed off the principal after he found his entire office strewn with toilet paper. That was the subject of gossip for the last six hours that he wanted no part of.

Now that it was officially summer vacation, Harry was ready to focus his energy on working—it wasn't traditional work, but a quick means to an end. He had saved up at least ten grand over the course of five months. Edward was his biggest donor, then Elizabeth, then Philip, and finally Calvin. Ever since the party, Harry had been avoiding Edward, but with his mother's health worsening over the last two months, he decided to swallow his fear and accompany the man to the parties and dinners he was invited to.

Last week, he had spent the weekend with Elizabeth in Pella, Iowa before she headed out to Los Angeles for some big event. He would miss her witty jokes and crude humour, but on a fundamental level, she was the same as the others.

Philip and Calvin were always in touch with him. His mother still hadn't found out though. She knew her brother was mayor of Iowa City, but they had kept their distance from each other all these years. She had a grudge toward him that she hadn't told Harry about yet.

Edward, on the other hand, loved to live lavishly. And that included adorning his favourite toy (Harry) in whatever money could buy. He didn't wear the expensive clothes around his mother, but he wore them out when meeting Philip or Edward. He had a name now amongst the rich and wealthy.

Harry, the mayor's nephew, and everyone's favourite boy.

"Harry!"

The boy came to a stop near the edge of the school when he heard his name. He wasn't a friendly guy and he was unhealthily introverted. Bethany, the pretty blonde girl he had done his science project with, jogged up to him. "Hey."

"Hey."

"Um, a few friends of mine are going to get something to eat down at Big Blue, the new restaurant that just opened up and..." He watched how her face turned pink, and in seconds, his face was pink too. "I was wondering if you wanted to come with us."

Three girls stood next to the oak tree at the centre of the school grounds, doing a horrible job at pretending like they weren't eavesdropping. Like Bethany, they were equally attractive. But he preferred the girl in front of him; her beauty was more innocent and effortless.

"We're celebrating the last day of school."

"Er..." Harry looked off to the side and inspected the busy street, counting the students loitering around the area. "I can't. I gotta do stuff."