three| the basement

July 2010• • •

July 2010
• • •

"Hey, be careful. I don't want you hurting yourself." Wes cursed to himself. "I'll make a note to fix the door. This whole house is a piece of shit."

Winona smiled. "It's okay, really. I'm not made of glass."

Wes grinned back at her. "I can see that. Tough as nails."

As they entered the kitchen, Winona's gaze roamed over the boxes strewn about. She couldn't help but feel a bit envious of Wes's ability to move around so easily. Being tethered to the farm had become suffocating for her, especially now that she was older and still living with Harry. She appreciated him, but she also welcomed the chance to explore the world outside of her own.

"Do you need any help with these boxes?" she asked, taking a step closer.

He nodded, passing her a box labeled "kitchenware." "Thanks, that would be great. I've been unpacking all morning and my back is killing me."

He pointed to a bare counter. "Just set it down there."

She complied, her eyes taking in the sparse furnishings of the room.

"Is it just you and your dad here?" She tried to make conversation as she unpacked a set of plates.

"It's just me for now. He'll join me in a month or so. I gotta get this place into decent condition by then, and he'll do the rest."

"Do you have any siblings?"

Wes looked up at her, smiling softly. "I have a younger sister. She's back home with my dad 'cause she's still going to school."

Winona stacked the plates neatly. "That sounds nice. I don't have any siblings."

Surprise flashed on his face. "Really? I couldn't imagine growing up without my sister. We're really close."

Winona smiled, feeling a pang of longing. "I guess it's just me and my friend on the orchard. It can get pretty lonely sometimes."

"I get it. This town is pretty small, and there's not much to do around here. But if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here."

As they worked together, unpacking boxes and making small talk, Winona felt a sense of ease and comfort that she hadn't felt in a long time. She laughed at Wes' jokes and smiled at his stories, grateful for the company of someone close to her age. Time seemed to slip away as they worked, and she didn't even notice the sun dipping lower and lower on the horizon.

But as the sky grew darker, the reality of her situation began to set in. She knew that she couldn't stay here forever, that she would have to face Harry eventually. And even though she was comfortable with Wes, she knew that it was only temporary.

With the last box emptied, Wes led Winona outside into the backyard. As they walked, she marveled at the lush greenery that surrounded them. She forgot about the worries that had been gnawing at her, the fear and loneliness that had consumed her for so long.