Chapter 12: The Beginning of the End

but darling,

in the end,

you've got to be

your own hero,

because everybody's

busy

trying to save

t h e m s e l v e s .

Chapter Twelve: The Beginning of the End

He loved you. He did.

He had never felt such intense emotional feelings for anyone else. It was only you. Out of every other girl he'd met, you were the most pure, the most loyal, the most accepting. You were what he needed to keep on going in this hellish world. You gave him more than he could ever ask for, and he sure as fuck wouldn't let anyone take you away from him.

He wouldn't let anyone else have you, either.

Not your foster parents. Not Zao, and definitely not Alfred. None of them could have you. He didn't think Henry and Lauren even deserved you. Didn't they understand how lucky they were? How could they stand to treat you as badly as they did? The thoughts made his blood boil.

You were his, and he was yours. He'd promised you this and you knew it. You still loved him too, didn't you? Yes... you said you did.

This was his only choice.

If Henry and Lauren wouldn't let you two be together, then he'd simply have to dispose of them.

Murderer.

The word wouldn't leave his mind.

Murderer, murderer.

You're a murderer, Allen.

It was true that he'd always dreamed of taking the life of someone. He wanted to see the light fade from their eyes; he wanted to know what it was like to shoot a bullet down the anatomy of a person he despised. Not only due to his love of guns, but also due to his sociopathic nature. He couldn't stop the dark thoughts from invading his mind, plaguing his thoughts; he supposed he needed help, but who cared? No one. If it bothered you, he'd stop.

But it didn't seem to bother you. Frankly, he was too afraid to ask if it did. He didn't want to know the answer. He knew this was not healthy for his relationship with you, but you'd told him you loved him and that was enough for him to overlook it. Nothing else mattered to him as long as you loved him.

So, he'd get rid of Henry and Lauren. He'd run away with you to a new country if needed. Anything to stay with you, he'd do it.

This didn't mean he wasn't petrified, and not about the running-from-the-law part.

All in all, he was no murderer. He was a rebel, yes, a street-smart young adult with a rough past. Even a person like him was terror-stricken at the serious choice of planning to kill.

He was most fearful of the fact that this was his only choice.

The would-be consequences were eating at him. He was this close to taking one of his guns and putting it to his own head.

The memories of you were all that stopped him.

"_____..."

Could he really do this?

Could he really kill them?

He'd know how to cover up his tracks and escape with you, but was he really about to make this fantasy become a reality?