Chapter 6: Shattered Innocence

I sit in the dark. And it would be hard to figure out—

Which is worse; the darkness inside, or the darkness out.

Chapter Six: Shattered Innocence

You already understood that Henry wasn't good at keeping his promises.

But the fact that he couldn't even remember to enforce his own rules was kind of laughable.

He'd forbade you from having any contact with Allen, and yet he still asked him to work at the house. It was coming together nicely, though the yard was still a mess. Often times, Henry left you alone with Allen even after he'd told you not to speak with him anymore.

This afternoon was another one of those times.

"Is he still inside?" Allen asked, his ruby-red eyes locked on the paintbrush in his hand as he brushed strokes down the house's exterior.

"Yup. And Lauren's out running errands with Peter, too." You informed him, painting the side of the house as well.

He turned slightly to peek at you, "'Kay. So what do you think of my idea?"

Immediately, a feeling of uneasiness took over you. Sighing, you set down the brush on a nearby patio table, "...Well, are you sure it's a good idea? Why did you hate that cop so much anyway?"

He'd told you earlier about how he planned to vandalize the home of a police officer. You understood that he knew the cop on a 'personal' level, but he hadn't explained how or why.

He pouted slightly, and threw down his paintbrush. He was standing only about four feet away, and leaned against a part of the wall that wasn't freshly painted yet. "...Er, I didn't tell you-?"

You smiled a bit and shook your head, "No, you didn't." He looked kind of adorable with that sulky look on his face.

He sighed, and crossed his arms. "That cop's been on my ass ever since I moved here. Apparently he used to be a part of the police force in my old town back in New York. He already knew about me and the things I did so I guess he decided to be even more of a dick to me than he needs to be." He was staring down at the ground, eyebrows furrowed in annoyance.

"Uh, like how?"

He scowled and looked back up, "I was walking home one night when he drove up to me and made me stop. He forced me to take a drug test, an alcohol test,and he checked me for any weapons. I hadn't even done anything wrong! That asswipe just assumed I was about to commit a crime or some shit. He even had me on the ground at some point. He was acting like such a fuckin' douche, too. All I was doing was walking home from Zao's house. I hadn't touched drugs or alcohol that whole damn night." His teeth clenched.

You nodded, "Yeah, that's unfair."

He turned back to aggressively continue painting the house—to which you had to stifle a giggle—and muttered, "That cop deserves an ass-kicking. He's lucky he's even a cop. That's why," He glanced at you, "I need to fuck up his house or something to get him back."

Something didn't feel right. Eyebrows knit together, you pointed out, "But you said you got in trouble back in New York. You've told me that before too, but you never said how." You paused to stare at him; he stubbornly avoided eye contact and continued painting. "...Can you tell me now?"

He rolled his eyes, "It's stupid. You don't want to hear it, trust me."

You stepped closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. He peered back up at you and lowered his paintbrush. "Allen. Tell me please."