Chapter 7: Lies & Bloodlines

Always you wear a mask

To hide the soul that is in you.

Chapter Seven: Lies & Bloodlines

There was almost never a day of peace in your house.

You could barely stand to be here. A moment of silence was nearly frightening— you knew it was only a matter of time until someone started yelling. It was always either Henry or Lauren, of course. Peter usually kept to himself—luckily for him, he never got yelled at.

At the time, it was quiet. You were in your room, lying stomach-down on your bed. With your back to the bedroom door, you continued to giddily text Allen.

Since Peter wasn’t in the room (…that you shared with him), and Henry was out speaking to the landlord, the house fell quiet. You had no idea what Lauren was doing, but you didn’t care to think about it. You texted ‘Send me a picture of you’ to Allen. When you’d asked what he was doing, he’d replied, ‘Just got out of the shower ;)’

You received the picture just as you heard footsteps down the hall. Oh great… she’s coming, you thought to yourself with a groan. This didn’t even give you enough time to take in the shirtless photo of your boyfriend.

You hid the iPod Touch beneath your pillow just as Lauren opened the bedroom door. “Uh, _____?”

You sat up to face her, “Yeah…?”

She glowered at your indifference. “Don’t just sit there. Do something.”

You tried not to roll your eyes, “Like what?” You’d already done your ‘chores’, and it’s not like you had homework in the summer. Peter wasn’t here, so you didn’t have any babysitting to do.

She scoffed, “’Like what’? When I was your age, I had plenty to do. Why don’t you clean up? Get a job? Get off your lazy ass and vacuum the house?!”

You flinched at her volume. “You don’t have to yell at me!” You knew telling her was pointless. It seemed you could never speak to her without getting into an argument. You were sick of this. “Go take out your anger on someone else!” You knew she was stressed, but that didn’t give her an excuse to act this way all the time.

She looked as if she’d just been slapped. Once she regained composure, she gritted her teeth and began to walk over towards you. Oh, no. This wouldn’t be good.

“Since when did you become such a disrespectful little bitch?”

Her words were sharp, low-pitched, and laced with brimming fury. You were honestly surprised that she hadn’t smacked you.

…She hadn’t smacked you. She felt offended, not upset. That much was clear.

It made sense a little too late. You’d instantly regretted your words, and felt remorse wash over your limp body. “…L-Lauren, I’m sorry.” And you were. She was working so hard to make everything okay again, even though it never would be. You were tired of her being your enemy. “I’m… really sorry,” You got up to hug her, but… she wasn’t convinced.

“Get away from me,” She hissed, backing away from your slightly opened arms. “You don’t respect me; I know you hate me. You’re not even my real daughter!” She clenched her teeth—nearly shaking with indignation—and left the room. As she walked back down the hall, she called out, “AND VACUUM THE HOUSE!”