Epilogue - Zao's Ending

i will always be yours.

even when you

don't want me

anymore.

Epilogue: Zao's Ending

Warning: Some heated content. Viewer discretion is advised.

— Chapter Ten Flashback —

"Allen and I have more in common."

"But... Alfred is your childhood friend."

"Yeah," He sighed. "I trust him more than Allen."

You stared at him, puzzled. "So whose side are you on?"

At this, he smirked again. "...Mine," The bed creaked as he got on all fours and looked you right in the eye; you had to admit that your body flushed and your cheeks tinted bright red. You'd been sitting on the bed with your back against the wall when he slowly crawled over you—his crimson irises locked on your own. "Close your eyes, _____."

As he got closer, you tried to shake off any non-platonic feelings and blurted, "Stop teasing me so much. They'll get mad."

"I'm not teasing you, _____."

"Yes you are. You always do this. Always..."

He was inching even closer. By now, you could feel his hot breath on your lips and for a split second, you were more than tempted to close your eyes and let him come nearer—to close the space between you and him that had been toyed with, teased, abused, beaten down, and built back up since you met. Just one or two inches and that gap would be closed; something would finally be set in stone rather than played with, assumed, guessed or even hoped.

Just one thing needed to be done, and it both seemed and sounded like bliss.

But... you couldn't. "Zao, stop. I-I'm worrying about Allen and Alfred right now."

An expression of hurt immediately crossed his face.

Could he have been serious this whole time? All this time he playfully flirted with you—were his feelings genuine?

...He didn't like you too did he?

Your life was a mess.

— Chapter Ten Flashback: End —

So much more happened that night.

You'd been unsettled by your feelings for both Allen and Alfred, and then Zao came and shook up your emotions for him as well.

"Zao, stop. I-I'm worrying about Allen and Alfred right now." You'd told him.

Your words had visibly hurt him. His eyes had widened for a moment before he looked back down, eyebrows lowered, lips parted. His skin paled. Soon after, a silence fell.

"...I should go." He quietly announced after about a minute, the pain of your rejection still audible in his voice.

"Wait," You stated, flustered yet filled with ranging emotions of guilt, regret, and misguided love. "...Let me at least walk you out."

He blushed heavily. By now it was clear as day that he liked you. "O-Okay."

The two of you walked out of your house in tense silence. You closed the front door and stood out on your porch with him for a bit. If you had anything to say to him, you knew you should say it now.