Chapter 2: The Devil's Awakening

Words are like bullets,

And they kill as good as any gun.

Chapter Two: The Devil's Awakening

"...I never thought you'd leave me like this,"

You tossed Alfred a puzzled look, "You... Y-You're acting so dramatic."

He grinned. "Haha, I know. I'm just..." He shrugged, glanced away, and let out a sigh. "I just can't believe you're leaving."

You felt yet another pain in your chest. Alfred had been mostly himself the whole day, until tonight. He'd known since yesterday that you were moving away; but since this night fell, he'd begun acting even more visually saddened over it.

You eyed him, heart throbbing. You hadn't expected him to get this upset over you leaving. He was normally so charismatic and positive.

You were both sitting on your bed, cross-legged, facing each other. It was around midnight, and your family was asleep. Henry and Lauren had allowed Alfred to help with the packing-probably just for the free assistance rather than giving you the pleasure of his presence. After all, they hadn't let you have friends over for a long time. It was painful mainly because Alfred was your only friend and you weren't able to see him outside of school.

Tomorrow was moving day. Alfred had to sneak in from your window to get inside, since your parents had tried to make him leave at around seven in the evening. But as your only good friend, he wouldn't allow them to cut short your time with him.

"I just wanted a real goodbye." He'd said.

And now here you were, exchanging one of your last conversations with him as San Diego residents. "I might have told you this earlier, but I know where you're moving. My grandparents live near Houston too. As soon as you move in, I can have a friend of mine come help you guys unpack." He was smiling now, eager to help you in any way he could-even if it meant contacting someone far away to do it in his place.

Your eyes widened, "Oh-no, you don't have to do that."

He nodded, a cheery grin on his face. "But I want to! And besides, I know he'll be okay with it. He doesn't live that far from my grandparents' house. I'll ask him to bring some of his friends along to help too."

...Why can't more people be as kind as him? "Alfred..." You smiled back, grateful. "Thanks."

He waved it off, "No prob! The guy's really cool. But..." He began to trail off, rubbing the back of his neck. "...he's sort of creepy..."

You chuckled, "How creepy can he be?"

He looked back up, blue eyes widened. "Really creepy! But... totally nice. He's this Chinese kid with weird eyes."

"Weird eyes? Alfred, is it because he's Chinese?"

Shocked by your question, he added, "No, it's nothing like that! His eyes are just colored weird!"

You grinned, "...Okay then. A creepy Chinese guy with weird-colored eyes will be helping us unpack, cool." You said it jokingly, but were still appreciative.

He laughed, "Yeah, yeah. You'll see. But anyway... summer will be here soon. I can totally visit my grandparents and come see you guys while I'm there. Maybe even stay in good ol'Texas for a week or two. And we can catch up on whatever I've missed~!" He gave you a wink, elbows resting on his knees.

You nodded happily, "Yeah! That would be great."... I already miss you so much. What will school be like without you? In Texas?

He gave you a soft, sad little smile. His cerulean blue irises met your own, and he quietly told you, "_____... you'll always be my best friend. I'll miss you."