Chapter 13: Onward Home

Your way begins

On the other side.

Take an ax to the prison wall.

Escape.

Walk out like someone

Suddenly born into color.

Do it now.

Chapter Thirteen: Onward Home

"I think I know how Alfred felt."

His voice was wistful; you gave him a smile. "What do you mean by that?"

He sighed. One look at you smiling at him like that and he had to turn away to hide his blush. "When he saw you moving away from him. And I was who helped you move in here. It seems our roles have been switched, eh?"

You watched him closely. His usually-sparkling red eyes were dull and empty today—there were no vigorous glints of humor, energy, or playfulness in those crimson irises. The frown on his face only added to the obvious notion that he was not feeling himself.

He seemed genuinely dismal to see you move back to California. He'd been the most... interesting neighbor you'd ever had, as well as a great friend. "I'll miss you, Zao." It was true. This had been your final chance to tell him.

He looked down at the grass, shading his eyes again. Just one peer into his face and you could see that his cheeks were burning red. Huh. You'd never managed to get him flustered before, or so you thought. "Are you... blushing...?"

"Pssh, no," He waved his hand and chuckled shakily. "A-Anyway, I'll uh, miss you too." He finally made eye contact and grinned.

Your heart began pounding just a bit faster.

His flushed face was undeniably adorable. That shy smile, that nervous twitch. You'd never seen him like this; was it really only because you'd told him something nice?

Sure, you'd often physically hit him or dismissed him, but you and he both knew you were only joking. Still, it was rare of you to be outwardly kind to him. This obviously caused him some discomfort, or possibly embarrassment—perhaps even an effect of affection? Either way, this side of him was cute.

What really caused your heartrate to quicken was the way he reached his arms out, welcoming (more like requesting) an embrace. "I'll miss you more than you think, tàitài~"

Face warming a bit, you grinned and stepped over to him. It was in that moment that you realized you'd never really hugged him before. How strange. You two were close friends, weren't you?

You wrapped your arms around his torso and pressed your face into his neck. If this was the first and last time you were going to hug him, you were going to make it count.

A feeling of intimacy quickly enveloped you—not because of the simple embrace, but because there was more skin-on-skin contact than you'd expected.

It being summer, you two were clad in sleeveless tops. Both your shirt and his were thin. You were able to clearly feel his six-pack against your stomach, his firm chest against yours, and the soft, warm skin of the crook of his neck that you laid your face into. His muscled, tattoo-covered arms instantly snaked around your waist and held on tight.