Chapter 5: Creatures of the Night

Every girl wants a bad boy who will be good just for her…

And…

Every boy wants a good girl who will be bad just for him…

Chapter Five: Creatures of the Night

“This iPod Touch is so cool. It’s just like an iPhone, minus the calling.” You thought aloud as you laid on your bed, Peter still playing with his Lego ship across the room.

“Really? I thought it was an iPhone.” He yawned, but not without looking up from his toys.

It was almost his bedtime. Soon, he would be asleep, and the night would begin. I can’t wait to see you, Allen… you thought to yourself as your adoptive brother found himself getting sleepier and sleepier.

About forty-five minutes later, he had stopped playing with the Legos and crawled into bed. You toyed with the iTouch a while longer, and then decided it was time.

Well, time to call someone, that is. Since it wasn’t even midnight yet and that was the time when you were supposed to meet Allen.

Since Henry had recently set up the home phone, you tiptoed into the kitchen and grabbed the device. It was only around ten in evening, but Peter and your foster parents were already asleep.

In the dark living room, you plopped down onto the couch and dialed the only number you knew by heart. As the phone rang, you looked out the window and into the moonlight-filled street. You instantly got a flutter in your stomach at the thought of sneaking out with Allen.

After a few seconds, the person on the other line picked up. “Hello there, you’re on with the he—”

“—I’m on with the hero, I know.” You couldn’t help but grin at the sound of Alfred’s carefree voice.

“_____? Is that you? Dude, you sound so much better on this phone!”

“Hehe, I know. That’s because I’m not on the emergency Nokia that Lauren has. This is our house phone, so you can store this number.”

“Oh, cool! So hey, I miss you! What have you been doing?”

You glanced out the window again. You’d wanted to talk with Alfred, but there was one other main reason as to why you’d called him tonight. “I’ve just been… hanging out. And really getting to know someone…” Your last sentence nearly ended as if it were a question.

“Oh? Even though you’re not in school yet?” A slurping sound was heard, as if he was drinking another extra-large soft drink from McDonald’s while talking with you.

You hesitated, but eventually said, “Yeah… it-it’s Allen.” You felt a bit nervous to tell him, since your last conversation with him regarding Allen didn’t end too well.

A pause.

You breathed out quietly, hoping Alfred wouldn’t pick up on your uneasiness.

“…Oh. That guy…” He mumbled.

You swallowed thickly, “…Yeah. That guy. He’s actually really nice; I don’t see why people have told you mean things about him.”

You heard him groan through the phone. “Ughh, ____. Seriously. Why him? Are you saying you’re dating him or whatever?”

You felt your heartbeat quicken. “Well… yeah.”

Another silence followed, albeit longer.

“…Dude. Okay. You know you’re my homie. So you should know that I look out for you. And, uh…” He paused again, and you looked down, fiddling with a loose string from the couch, “Well… isn’t he a few years older than us? I know that’s cool and all, to date someone that’s more ‘mature’, bUT I THINK THAT’S KINDA DUMB!” You nearly had to move the phone about two feet from your ear to keep from damaging your sense of hearing.