Chapter 4: Desire's Consequence

Mobile Wattpad users: PLEASE NO IN-LINE COMMENTS! YOU KNOW, THE HIGHLIGHTING OPTION? IT'S ANNOYING! IF YOU'RE GONNA LEAVE A COMMENT, DO IT AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER, NOT DURING THE MIDDLE! THANK YOU. T-T

If you find yourself in a dark room,

Walls around you are red

And blood seeps from everywhere,

Do not be afraid.

You are inside my heart.

Chapter Four: Desire’s Consequence

It all started with a bottle of whiskey.

“Pass me the Jack Daniels, will you, _____?” Henry had asked you as he set up the Internet connection.

You were at the kitchen table eating breakfast as he hooked up wires and plugs to a nearby outlet. The bottle of whiskey was at the table’s edge, away from his grip.

Frankly, you didn’t want to give it to him. Didn’t he see what kind of shit it got him into? The gambling, the stealing, the loss of his own house? Alcohol consumption was only one of his problems, but it was one that he could at least try to quit. It was the morning; did he really need it right now? No.

“____? Did you hear me?” He was still busy with the Wi-Fi box.

“…No,” You grumbled, staring into your cereal bowl.

He turned, eyebrows furrowed with irritation. Ignoring your smart-ass response, he walked around the table to retrieve the bottle himself. Once he took a long swig, he turned to glare at you: “I’m getting sick and tired of your attitude, _____.” He warned.

You kept your head down, busying yourself with spoonfuls of cereal.  Ignore him, you thought. Your mind wandered over to who was in the closest room instead.

Henry slammed his bottle down, “These past few months, you’ve been acting like a spoiled little brat, you know that don’t you? And I’m not going to tolerate this behavior anymore, ____.” He spat, words like acid.

Your hand clenched around the spoon. These past few months, you were being horrible? Didn’t he have any idea what he had done to you or said to you ‘these past few months’? He was the one who deserved to be reprimanded—same with Lauren. They were beginning to feel like parental failures; not that you knew what it was like to have great parents. Either way, how could he say your attitude was unacceptable?

You stood, teeth clenched. “Me? Aren’t you the one who lost your job, our house, and all our money?” Your voice rose, furious. “Don’t you see that you’re an alcoholic with loads of debt and responsibility and all you do is blame others?!”

Within an instant, you remembered back to the last time you said something similar—and what Henry almost did in response to your disrespect.

This time was no different. His face turned red with fury, and after a few seconds of tense silence, he slowly walked up to you and raised his hand.

It looked the same as the last time it happened. But, that time, he stopped himself—would he stop himself again? Or was he really going to hit you…?