Chapter 9

"Woah, so this is what your office looks like?" My eyes snapped open and head popped up at a voice I didn't expect so early in the morning. Especially not now of all times. Baekhyun smiled at me, dressed in navy slacks and a white button down with no tie. Much more casual than usual, especially for a Monday morning. One hand was busy holding a coffee while the other was in his pocket as he strolled in, his usual confident self as if he owned the place, looking around in awe. "It's so...modest."
"What are you doing here?" I asked. He never visited my office. Even while we were working on cases together. I didn't even think he knew where my office was. He held up the coffee with another charming smile and set it down in front of me. I looked up at him in question.
"I stopped to get coffee earlier and something was just telling me that you may need a cup too." He shrugged. "And by the look on your face, I was right." I stopped myself from running my hands over my face, remembering at the last second that I had makeup on. I groaned softly out of frustration and settled for massaging my temple instead. "Did your weekend get rougher or something?" He teased. When I opened my eyes, he was seated across from me with his head tilted slightly. He was leaned back in the chair, one ankle over his knee, not a hair out of place.
"No." I was just on my period so everything was miserable, but he didn't need to know that. "Thanks for this." I brought the cup to my lips and took a sip. Thankful for the warmth that settled the cramp that was ripping through me at the moment.
"You know, you really need to start asking questions about drinks you're given." He said.
"At this point, I trust you enough. And if you kill me, you kill me." I shrugged, taking another sip.
"I would laugh, but you really look like something is bothering you." His eyebrows drew together in concern. A rare look on him. One I only discovered this past weekend.
"I'm fine." I shook my head again. He still looked skeptical so I decided to tell him so he could drop it. I knew he wouldn't otherwise. "Just on my period." It felt like too much information but he didn't even blink.
"Ah, okay." He nodded in understanding.
"What are you doing here anyway?"
"I bought you coffee. Figured I'd bring it to you. Would've been weird if I asked you to come up and get it." He said.
"But why did you get me coffee?" I asked.
"I thought I already explained this?" He tilted his head again. I rolled my eyes.
"I appreciate the gesture, but if there's nothing you need..."
"Actually, there is." He sat up and rested his elbows on his knees. His negotiating position which made me curious. I waited for him to continue. "I want to get lunch later. With you."
"Okay..." The odd behavior was now building. "Why?"
"Because." He shrugged and leaned back again. Playful smile on his face.
"Why are you being weird."
"I'm not." He defended. "So, what do you say?" I narrowed my eyes at him, trying hard to read his expression but he gave nothing away like a true pro.
"Sure." I answered slowly.
"Good." He rose to his feet. "I'll check back with you around noon? We can meet at BonBon." I nodded and he smiled once more before leaving my office.

Baekhyun sure knew how to make someone anxious. I was doing my best to not think his behavior was strange given that we have hung out on multiple occasions during and outside of work. For some reason, this seemed...different. It felt as if he were hiding something. If he wanted to grab lunch, he would have just texted me. Not bring me coffee hours before to ask. Of course I obsessed over it up until it was time to meet him at the restaurant. It was a quick car ride. When I arrived, he was seated in a booth, focused on his phone, typing furiously. He took a moment to wet his bottom lip before pulling it between his teeth. He ran his hand through his hair then returned to typing. By the time I reached the table, he let out a soft sigh and set his phone down.
"Everything okay?" I asked, gaining his attention. He looked up and his surprise quickly melted into a smile.
"Hey, yeah. Just this case Jongdae and I are working on." He said. I took a seat and settled in. "We are supposed to meet with the opposition but they are being difficult."
"Ah, okay." I nodded.
"What about you? Feeling any better?" He folded his hands on the table and leaned in slightly.
"A bit." I shrugged. He nodded.
"What are you in the mood for?"
"A big slice of chocolate cake." I said. He laughed.
"I think you should have an actual meal first.
"Why must you ruin my joy?" I glared at him and he laughed harder.
"You can still get your dessert. Just eat something first." He said. I frowned and perused the menu. Nothing caught my eye by the time the server arrived with glasses of water.
"I think I want something cheesy but not pizza." I said when they waited for me to place my order.
"Is Key back there?" Baekhyun asked our server. She nodded. "Can he make her a grilled cheese? With extra cheese?"
"Of course Mr. Byun." It must be nice to have these connections. A grilled cheese honestly sounded perfect.
"Thank you. And I'll have the grilled chicken orecchiette."
"Anything else to drink?" She asked.
"I'm fine with water, thank you." He said. I said the same. She nodded and collected our menus before walking off. We chatted about work until our food arrived. When I took a bite, it had to be the most perfect grilled cheese I had in my life. A long string of cheese stretched between my mouth and the half of sandwich in my hands. Baekhyun laughed as I chewed through it.
"Who is this Key and can I marry him?" I said.
"Sorry, he's taken. Very happily married." He said. I frowned but took another bite of the delicious sandwich.
"Thanks for this by the way." I had never gotten something that wasn't on the menu before and it was exactly what I needed.
"You're welcome." He said. There was a beat of silence before he spoke again. "So, Friday was fun."
"Yeah, it was." I replied mindlessly as I focused on my food. My rollercoaster of emotions made so much more sense when my period started over the weekend. I still felt crappy about the whole Jongin thing and it didn't help that Jinyoung wasn't responsive again. On Sunday, on a spur of the moment I agreed to a date with some guy I had been chatting with but he cancelled last minute, literally when I was dressed and ready to walk out of the door, further frustrating me. I cried and ordered a burger after blocking him.
"Kind of brings me to the actual reason I invited you to lunch." He said. My eyebrow went up at him. "I didn't want to say this while we were in the office." I stopped chewing and set the sandwich down, immediately feeling uneasy, but curious. "I like hanging out with you. And I think at this point we can consider each other friends, right?"
"I would say so." The build up was starting to put me on edge.
"And friends help each other out." He continued. I pursed my lips, now not knowing where this conversation was going, especially with such a cliché statement. "I think we've both concluded that we are very much alike, and we tend to get into our heads a lot. We seemed to have found a formula that works, and I think we should capitalize on that."
"Are you...are you asking me out?" It was a very odd and roundabout way of doing so.
"What? No." He chuckled. I was relieved, I think, but still very confused. "I'm nowhere near ready for a relationship. I just think that along with our friendship, we could help each other every once in a while to get out of our heads." I stared blankly at him until I finally realized what he was saying.
"Are you asking me to be your fuckbuddy?" He deadpanned.
"Would you like to say it louder into the microphone?" I didn't realize how loud I was. The table beside us gave us strange looks but I ignored them. There were more pressing matters at hand.
"Baekhyun, are you being serious right now?" My eyebrows furrowed.
"Yes." He said confidently, staring directly into my eyes.
"I knew you were straight forward but this is something I would have never expected." I said.
"Listen, you don't have to answer now, and either way, I still want to be your friend because I enjoy your company. I feel like we can really help each other out. I'm not looking for a relationship and you...actually I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but you don't seem to want me in that way. We are just looking for something to fill a void and keep us sane for a while." He said. "You want to get over...him, the same way I'm trying to get over her."
"So you think being friends with benefits is going to help?" I made sure to keep my voice down this time.
"You don't think so? "
"I feel like it can get confusing?"
"I think we are both already confused right now especially with our exes which has us pretty messed up."
"I'm not messed up."
"You were ready to drink yourself into a blackout the other day over Jongin." He said dryly. Those words cut a bit. "Hate to break it to you but we're all a little messed up babe." I bit my lip in thought. It was a tantalizing offer but it made me nervous. I've never done this before but I knew some people who did back in college and it didn't end great for a handful of them. "I'm going to be real with you. When we first met, I was still hung up over my ex, after we...you know, I didn't think about her for days and I felt better than I had in weeks. Focused and relaxed. The next time we...got together, I was stressed about the whole merger thing and I told you about how my ex was contacting me and after, I wasn't worried about it anymore. Not saying I was craving you or anything, but you helped get me back on track."
"Seems like you just need to find some hookups."
"Do I look like the type to just hook up with anybody?" He said, eyebrow arched. I raised mine back in challenge. He sighed. "You know what I mean. I don't have the time for that. Plus, it can get messy. Being me and all."
"Okay you're not that special." I teased. He chuckled.
"Just think about it. It doesn't need to be anything too serious. Just...when you need to get out of your head, you have my number. And I hope I can do the same." I don't know why I wasn't jumping at this proposition. Possibly because it was definitely something I wasn't expecting, especially from Baekhyun of all people. And he made it seem so professional. I had to admit it, he was very persuasive and he made great points.
"I'll think about it." I really did need to. He seemed satisfied with the answer though. I picked up my sandwich and continued to enjoy it as he moved on to another topic like nothing happened.