Chapter 13

I felt the nervous energy in the air when I stepped into the office the next day. It was the day that things could turn out really well or bring our company closer to the flames, and not in a good way. I wished Junmyeon luck and asked him to let me know how it went. I wasn't sure when they were meeting Globaviation but I was sure they would want to handle it first thing.
"Good morning, Brielle." My footsteps slowed at the sound of Jongin's voice. He was walking in my direction, coffee in one hand and documents in another. I was ready to tell him to leave me alone, but he just gave me a friendly smile and kept walking. That left me surprised for a moment. I stared at the back of his head as he coolly walked off. I had so many questions. This was strange behavior for him. He would either completely ignore me or say more than necessary. I would rather him not have spoken to me at all, but the fact that he didn't stop to talk or apologize or whatever was a step in the right direction. I guess. But now I was on edge. I quickly tried to shake it off and entered my office.

I settled at my desk and took out my phone. I had also sent a message to Baekhyun wishing him luck, but there was still no response. I didn't take it to heart though. Judging from the previous night, he was a ball of nerves. I just hoped he had even a little reprieve for the night and was able to get some sleep. I set my phone down and stared at the chair across from me. Of course the memory was still fresh. It was the first time I had ever done something like that in the office. I honestly wouldn't mind doing it again. Everyone has fantasized in one way or another about office hookups and I never thought I would have actually done it. It was thrilling. It couldn't be a regular thing though. Unfortunately.

Time seemed to move at the pace of a slug as I waited to hear anything about the case. Sure, it really wasn't my business and I was supposed to find out in time with the rest of the employees if it was going to impact us, but Junmyeon and Baekhyun made it my business. In all honesty, I was worried about them. By the time it reached early afternoon, I found myself pacing my office, trying to rid my body of the nervous energy that had built. I was constantly checking my phone but there was nothing. I was tempted to go up to their floor but opted to go see Anya instead. I needed to busy myself with something.

I rarely ever went to her office so her shock when I waltzed in wasn't unwarranted.
"Everything okay?" She asked, fingers hovering over her keyboard as she stared at me with a deep crease between her brows.
"Yeah." I said, dropping down in the chair across from her desk. She continued to eye me suspiciously. "I don't feel like working." I frowned. She laughed.
"When does anyone feel like working?" She said.
"I can't focus." I sighed.
"Thinking about...him again?" She abandoned whatever she was doing and gave me her full attention. It still stung to think about it if I was being honest with myself. Every once in a while, I contemplated unblocking him to see if he would reach out and give me a proper explanation or something. Maybe he would change his mind. He was just afraid. But I knew it would hurt more if I had all this hope and ended up with crickets, so I left him blocked. It obviously wasn't meant to be so the best I could do was move on. I shook my head. "How are you doing though?"
"I'm alright." I shrugged, picking at my nail and staring at the gray clouds outside of her window. I try hard to not think about it. I didn't need to rip that healing wound open again. "Just...trying to figure out where to go from here."
"We should go out sometime." She suggested. "I know it's probably still a bit early for you to try to scout out a potential relationship, but, when you're ready, there are some spots we can hit up because you know I'm on the prowl also."
"What happened to Kevin?" I asked curiously. The last time I heard, she and Kevin seemed to be moving forward in their relationship.
"Oh, I never told you? That's over with." She said.
"No, what happened?"

I was glad I went to bother Anya. We had decided to go to lunch and it was the perfect break I needed from worrying about the case. I was so tempted to check my phone the entire time but I kept it away, hoping that by the time we returned to the office, there would be news. Hopefully good news.