Chapter 16

"Are you absolutely sure about this?" Junmyeon asked for the fifth time that night. When I had filled him in on all that happened with Jongin, he gave me the reaction I had expected from Baekhyun. Telling me it was an awful idea and he was no good and I should stay away from him. The problem was, I already made up my mind and there was no changing it. That didn't stop Sehun from giving me an earful once he heard about it. Now we were in a ballroom at the Hilton filled with Baekhyun's friends and acquaintances. I was scanning the crowd nervously, wondering if Jongin would show up and how I would approach him. We were two hours in and there was still no sign of him. At least I didn't think so. There were so many people. I figured Baekhyun was popular but I didn't know his reach. There were a few celebrities present, mingling as if it were nothing. It was pretty wild.
"I think so." I replied.
"That's not a good enough answer." Sehun said, taking a gulp of his champagne.
"Yes, I'm sure."
"Too late." He and Junmyeon said in unison.
"Can you guys stop it? You're making me nervous."
"Good. Because this is a stupid idea." Sehun said.
"Don't try to talk me out of it."
"I think I can be pretty convincing." He argued.
"Get your fiancé." I said to Junmyeon.
"I agree with him." Junmyeon said. I glared at them as Sehun childishly stuck out his tongue at me.
"We're just going to talk."
"He has talked plenty." Said Sehun.
"You guys don't understand. Jongin is never like that. Seeing him in full blow tears on his knees...I think he's being earnest this time." I tried.
"Sounds like a master manipulator to me." Sehun popped an hors d'oeuvres off a passing tray. I frowned. He was really making me triple guess my decision.
"Sehun, that's enough." Junmyeon sighed. "Look, if you really want to do this, we can't stop you. But we're here if you need us."
"Thanks." I said, slightly more relieved that they would ease up. Sehun made a sound of disapproval but kept quiet.
"This is a really nice party." Junmyeon said, trying to make conversation.
"I expected him to be a secret hardcore partier. Not so...lavish."
"Only the best for Mr. Byun." I said with a soft smile. I knew Baekhyun could get down and dirty so I figured this party was just to show face. He most likely would party harder with his closer friends.
"Is that what you call him in the-."
"Baekhyun!" Junmyeon luckily shut his fiancé up as the birthday boy himself showed up.
"Hey, you all made it." He beamed, greeting me first with a hug and kiss on the cheek. He shook Junmyeon's hand and Sehun's as they were introduced.
"This is a very lovely party." Sehun said.
"Thank you, but it was all Sarah." Baekhyun said.
"And Sarah is...?" Sehun looked at him suspiciously.
"My assistant." He chuckled. "She's the one who suggested I throw something together considering the year I had but she took charge. She's a wiz."
"She sure is." Sehun agreed.
"May I borrow you for a moment?" Baekhyun said to me.
"Uh, sure." I glanced at Junmyeon and Sehun who were equally confused as Baekhyun excused us and led me away.
"You look great tonight." He complimented.
"Thank you. So do you." I said, admiring his black embroidered tux.
"Thanks." He smiled. "Jongin is here." I stopped in my tracks and he stopped with me.
"What?" Was all I managed to say.
"Yeah, he's been here for the past hour. I was trying to find you but I kept getting pulled away." He said.
"Where?"
"By the bar with Kyungsoo."
"Big boss Kyungsoo?" I asked.
"Yes." Baekhyun chuckled. "I told you I would get him to come." He winked. "So, are you gonna talk to him or did you change your mind?"
"I didn't change my mind." I said, slightly sure of myself.
"Then let's go." He tugged me along until we ended up at the bar. I thought he was going to take me right up to Jongin but we instead stood beside him at the bar, Baekhyun between us while the unsuspecting Jongin chatted with Mr. Doh.
"Hi, cosmo please?" Baekhyun said to the bartender who nodded and got to work.
"Enjoying your party?" I needed something to calm my nerves.
"It's alright." He shrugged. "I'd rather be home right now to be honest."
"Yeah, me too." I sighed. The bartender handed him the drink which he then handed to me. "Thank you." He nodded.
"Ready?"
"I guess." I took a gulp as Baekhyun turned to his left.
"Jongin, Kyungsoo." He said cheerily, grabbing their attention. "Didn't see you there."
"Oh, Baekhyun, Happy Birthday again." I had never actually met Mr. Doh in person. He was about the same height as Baekhyun with an incredibly deep voice and he was very handsome. His hair swept to the side perfectly. He looked like a movie star.
"Yes, happy birthday and thank you for the invitation." Jongin said.
"Of course. Thank you for coming."
"It's great to actually meet you directly. Heard a lot about you."
"Likewise." Baekhyun's ability to keep neutral was something I admired about him. I could just imagine how Sehun would have reacted to that comment. "Kyungsoo, this is Brielle Gray." Baekhyun stepped aside so I was in view. Mr. Doh smiled pleasantly while Jongin's jaw dropped momentarily. I had to hand it to him, he pulled himself back together quickly. "She's a financial analyst that works downstairs."
"Ah, it's a pleasure to meet you." He stepped up to shake my hand.
"Pleasure to meet you as well." I replied.
"And this is Kim Jongin. The newest litigator to join the team." Oh, he was good. "I guess he's not so new anymore though." There was light laughter between the four of us as I held my hand out to Jongin. He hesitantly shook it. "Kyungsoo, where is Yixing? There is something I wanted to talk to the two of you about."
"Please, Baekhyun, no work tonight." Mr. Doh groaned. Baekhyun excused them, giving me a discreet nod as he led Kyungsoo away. I returned my focus to Jongin who was staring.
"You're still holding my hand." I said. He just realized as well and quickly let go.
"Sorry." He cleared his throat and straightened up. "Uh, I should-."
"You enjoying the party?" I cut him off before he could make a quick exit. He looked stunned.
"Uh, I, uh, yeah. Yeah. It's great." He said. "Free drinks, good food, really nice." Nervous was new on him. It was endearing.
"Free drinks is always a positive." I said. He chuckled and nodded.
"How – how about you? Enjoying yourself?"
"Yeah. One of the nicest parties I've ever been invited to."
"He must have spent a pretty penny on this." He said, glancing up at the crystal chandeliers. "How much do you think this ran him for, analyst?" This was familiar territory. Playful Jongin.
"That's not how my job works." I said with a laugh.
"Come on. Just an estimate. You're always so good with that." I let the way that comment made me feel slide and indulged him.
"Fifty."
"I'm gonna say sixty solely based on that dessert table." He said. "Have you actually looked at the cake? Insane."
"You've got a point." It was a three tier emerald and gold cake. It had a marble design and those edible geode rocks coming down at an angle revealing white icing with gold specks. Didn't really think it was Baekhyun's style, but it was a really nice cake.
"You think it's actually going to taste good or taste how it looks?" He was continuing the conversation easily which was a bit of a surprise to me. As nervous as I was, I thought he would be more flustered that I was making an attempt to speak to him again. I should have known better. This was Jongin.
"What does that mean?" I giggled.
"A lot of cakes that are super fancy sometimes just taste like cardboard and fondant. The actual cake is dry and everything is stiff and playdoh-ey because it was all for show."
"It probably tastes how it looks." I said with a nod. He laughed. There was a brief silence as we both sipped on our drinks before he spoke up again.
"So how do you know Baekhyun?" He asked.
"We worked together a while back on some cases. Been friends since." I said.
"Ah, that explains why I see you on our floor so often."
"I'm not up there that much." I defended.
"Often enough." He shrugged nonchalantly.
"Have you ever worked with Baekhyun?" I asked. He shook his head.
"I've obviously heard about him and I've seen him in passing but he's always seemed too busy for a proper introduction and the opportunity never really presented itself." He said. "Seems like a cool guy."
"Yeah, he is." I replied. He met my gaze and took a breath.
"I'm surprised you're actually talking to me right now." He said.
"Me too if we're being completely honest." I admitted.
"So can I ask why?" He looked as if he were shrinking in on himself again. I spoke up before he changed his mind and ran off.
"Because I was listening to what you were saying that day in my office." I said. He looked at me puzzled, waiting for more. "This really isn't the time nor place but I guess we need to start somewhere." I took a breath this time. "We've done this push and pull in the past and it never ended well – at least for me. But this time seems...different." He straightened up as the words left my lips. "I'm not saying I'm outright forgiving and forgetting, but you've been making an honest effort and seems like you've really changed so I'm willing to continue to hear you out." His eyes widened.
"You – what?"
"You wanted to show me that you've changed, so show me." I said. "We're not getting back together or anything but if you want to prove that you've changed, we can start being cordial again." A wide smile spread across his face.
"Are you serious?" He asked. I nodded. "Okay, how about we meet for lunch tomorrow? We can catch up and talk more."
"We can do that."
"May I have your number?" He pulled out his phone and opened the contacts. I entered my number and handed it back. We chatted for a few minutes more before I excused myself to go find Junmyeon and Sehun.