Chapter 5

I woke up to the smell of bacon. Wait. Nicolas can't cook for his life. I jumped up and walked to the kitchen. I stopped abruptly to see Oliver talking with Nick. My hair was a mess and I haven't brushed my teeth. Quietly and quickly, I snuck back in my room, goT ready, and walked back out. Oliver looked up and smiled a little. "You cook?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. He chuckled and nodded.

"Yes, Kat. I can cook," he told me. I managed a smile and sat down at the table we never use. Nick shoved a piece of bacon in his mouth.

"He's an amazing cook, too. You should marry him, Kat," Nick said. My face went bright red.

"You're an idiot, Nick. I...have a boyfriend." Oliver stopped and turned around, eyebrow raised with an amused smile on his face. I nodded and crossed my arms over my chest. "Yeah. I do. His name is Barry. But not Barry Barry. This is Barry," I lied. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at my own lie. Nick and Oliver exchanged glances before laughing.

"Keep dreaming, Sis. Clarity's got him wrapped around her unmarried finger," Nick teased. I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at my brother. Oliver laughed again before handing me a plate.

I walked in the basement of Verdant, Oliver trailing behind. "Your brother seems interesting," he told me. I scoffed.

"More like a pain in my fucking ass," I replied. Oliver chuckled, but returned to his serious face when Diggle and Felicity looked up.

"Did you just...laugh? My god, Oliver has emotions," Felicity exclaimed. I laughed and walked over to her, sitting in the chair next to her. She smiled and I high fived her. Oliver rolled his eyes and walked over to us.

"I'm coming up on his left," I told Oliver through the earpiece, speeding up the motorcycle. Blocking the man's path, I skidded to a halt in front of him. "Gotcha," I said, swinging my leg over the motorcycle and aiming my bow at him. He took off his helmet and put his hands up. When I saw his face my eyes widened. I lowered my bow as Oliver ran up. Oliver's eyes were also wide. "You have got to be kidding me," I said. My voice modulator made my voice lower like Oliver's does. The 15 year old studied me, trying to figure out who I was.

I walked in the apartment to see Oliver waiting with Nicolas. "Are you serious? I just got a call from the police saying that you robbed a store and tried getting away on a stolen motorcycle!" I screamed. Nick looked to the ground. I ran a hand through my hair, looking to Oliver for help. He just shrugged. "What has gotten into you?" I asked. He shot up from his seat on the couch.

"Maybe I would be normal if you didn't leave at the stupidest moments of the night to screw a guy!" he yelled. I stepped back in shock. Nick never yells like that.

"What? I don't-oh." He notices when I leave. I looked to Oliver. "I'm actually going to work at those times, Nick. It's my job at Palmer Technology. I work for Ray Palmer and can't get fired or we lose everything. I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I lied. I do work for Palmer, but not that late at night. "Just...go to your room. You're grounded for two months," I told him and pointed towards the hall. He stomped away to his room. I looked to Oliver.

"Two months? That's it?" Oliver exclaimed. I nodded. "Kat, you almost shot him with an arrow. He robbed a store and stole a motorcycle. I'd give him a hell of a lot longer than two months," Oliver yell-whispered.

"He's not your responsibility!" I snapped. Oliver glared at me. "Fine. You wanna raise a teenager at only 24 years old? Be my guest! It's not as easy as it looks!" I yelled. I sighed and pointed towards the door. "Get out. I need to sleep so I don't smack my boss in the face tomorrow," I hissed. He shook his head and walked out, slamming the front door behind him.

I walked into Palmer Technologies with a fake smile on my face. I saw Felicity walking in at the same time as me. "Anything I can get for you, Ms. Smoak?" I asked as I set my stuff down on my desk.

"The story of why Oliver was cussing you out last night," she replied. I opened my mouth to respond when Ray poked his head out.

"Hey, Felicity. Um...Katherine, may I talk to you? In private?" he questioned. I looked to Felicity before nodding and following him into his office. He gestured for me to sit down.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him, watching as he sat down across from me. He shook his head.

"I need information about someone," he told me.

"Mr. Palmer, Felicity is more skilled in-" He cut me off.

"That's the thing, Katherine. It's about your mutual friend." My smile fell.

"Excuse me?"

"I should actually say boyfriend. Oliver Queen has a secret and I want to find it out. You're close with him. Have your technology geek of a brother help you figure it out. I'm scared that Oliver may do something to harm the company," he explained. I glanced at Felicity outside of the office before standing up. Ray followed my actions.

"Mr. Palmer, I will do many things for you as your secretary, but ruining my friendship over some stupid out-of-work activities is something I will not do. Find someone else," I told him. I started walking out when he grabbed my arm.

"You do realize you could lose your job, right, Katherine?" he whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. I snatched my arm out of his grasp.

"Yes, I do realize that. But knowing me, you should know that I would never agree to do something so illegal. Oh. And I suggest you do a background check on who you hire, Mr. Palmer. Wouldn't want the wrong person knowing your secrets, now would we?" I whispered before walking out. He stood there in shock, thinking over what I had just said. I pretty much just got fired. Time to look for a new job.

Sorry It's not action-packed or anything yet. It's getting there. I know, it's just family fluff right now but I promise it'll get better. I just haven't had time to work on it right now. Until next update whenever it is...

I gotta run!