none of you.

explicit content

it rains that morning, for the symbolism of it, surely. lisa holds the umbrella and scans the people littered around with her eyes. it's quiet for a long while, unnervingly so, like everyone standing here doesn't fully believe what happened, like if they blink it will turn out to be a dream. lisa, for one, feels that way.

her eyes land on yuna first, hugging her mother's leg without a single word, as her mother wipes silent tears that don't stop. heart thumping in her chest, lisa's eyes flint to the person standing next to her, one hand tucked into his pocket while the other holds an umbrella for the three of them.

his face is neutral, jaw clenched but eyes cold and distant. maybe it's because lisa's mind has placed him in another continent for the past few months, but it feels like he's someone she is seeing for the first time, the only thing reminding her of the person she knew and loved is the way his hair gets all frizzy because of the humidity, waves falling across the face that's kept composed. lisa's throat feels tight.

"was he sick?" she asks taehyung when she sees him.

taehyung shakes his head, eyes puffy with tears he stubbornly refuses to shed. "no sign at all. they even— they had a picnic planned for the weekend to celebrate yuna's birthday." taehyung's voice breaks and he goes quiet.

swallowing the lump in her throat, lisa tears her eyes away from the misery unfolding before her. "how's jungkook?"

"do you want the honest answer?"

lisa nods though she's afraid, so afraid of what she might hear.

"i don't really know. he's shut us off completely. ever since he left he only talks to namjoon hyung during the online meetings and treats him like he's a stranger. doesn't return any of my calls. we went over when we heard to see if we could help with anything and he... he'd gotten back on such short notice but had already organized everything. his parents completely broke down and he seemed annoyed with them. didn't cry a single tear. like signing his own brother's death certificate was just some regular paperwork he had to do. it was very unsettling."

the wake is at the jeon family house. people arrive in dozens and lisa still doesn't manage to look away from jungkook's parents, dressed in black and barely able to stand up to greet the people. it's so obvious, the tragedy of losing a son, the pain on their faces.

it cuts her to pieces and she wishes it doesn't. she wishes she can give up the part of her humanity that makes her feel empathy towards them, the source of her very misery. but then she looks at jungkook, and he has given up a part of his own humanity, to continue living the nightmare that is his life.

suddenly a break up feels small and irrelevant. suddenly lisa's heart aches with something other than the separation. she moves towards him like she's being pulled by gravity.