Chapter One - I'm Afraid of the Dark.

Here's Chapter 1! If you haven't already, go and read Lazuli, otherwise it might be all a bit confusing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've never been afraid of the dark.

Sure, when I was a child, I was haunted by nightmares of waking up alone, with nothing but darkness around me and everybody that I loved gone. I'd always written these dreams off as nothing more than bad dreams, that I'd never be alone and there'd always be a light.

Lately, they've been beginning to seem like a lot more than that.

More like premonitions.

I stopped having these dreams when I was around 10, and since then they've never plagued me.

Until now.

I fall asleep, and every night it's the same. Complete darkness. Not even a good, comforting kind of darkness, like the kind that you get when you turn out a bright and annoying light that's been hurting your eyes. No, this darkness has a different meaning all together, it's almost like it has a soul, a mind, a personality of its own.

I would say a heart too.

But he doesn't have a heart.

The dreams start out the same, always pitch black, never anything else. It takes me ages each time to become accustomed to it, in a similar way that it takes your eyes a while to be able to see when you turn out the lights. But more like it takes me ages not to feel like I want to die. Every time, just when I've relaxed slightly and would even go so far as to say I'm not afraid anymore, he appears. Like a ghost, a voice in the wind. Just another face in a crowd.

But he's so much more than that, and he's real.

That's why I'm afraid of the dark now.

The warning he gave me the first and last time we met is echoed through every conversation I share. I could be talking with someone random, about something random, and still hear the words that remind me of it. Of him. The hidden warnings and secret clues, laced into my everyday life. The constant reminder that my life is never going to be the same again.

All of this, is because I fell in love. I fell in love with the most handsome, intelligent, thoughtful - towards me anyway - and fantastic boy I've ever met. Sure, if I hadn't have followed my heart and decided that despite the opposition we faced, despite the repeated warnings from his family that if I didn't end it or join them, I'd end up dead, then I wouldn't be in this position right now. But on the other hand, if I hadn't have fallen in love with him, I'd never have had the chance to be with him, to feel his arms around me, his lips on mine, his heart and mine beating together.

I'd never have been able to call Draco Malfoy my boyfriend.

But is it worth it? Is he worth it? Is Draco worth me carrying this abomination around for the rest of my life, with it never going away? Will he always be there for me even though every time he sees me, all he'll see is this darkness that I was forced to take on, the scar on my body that will eternally mark what I've become? And will I be able to cope with the fact that every time I see him, I'll know that he has exactly the same mark, in exactly the same place. Except Draco took it willingly.

Can I forgive that?

I guess I'll find out in a couple of days.

Today is August 29th. We return to school on September 1st, so I have three days of the summer left. 3 days before I start my 6th year and have to begin my new life of constantly trying to hide what's on my left arm.