Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Trace

A/N

I know that Ron and therefore Juliet's birthday is supposed to be in March, and that the time of Harry getting the memory from Slughorn is April and the Battle of the Astronomy Tower is around June. I just completely forgot about Li's birthday, and since she'd be turning 17 and the Trace would be leaving her, I thought that it was important to make sure that it didn't go by unnoticed. So please, no comments about how I got the date wrong!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I wake up, I barely realise what day it is. After the ordeal of being plunged within my father's memories, I'd been distant and locked within my own little world, constantly going over the scenes in my head. It brought me some small comfort to know that - even though I wasn't really there - he hadn't died alone. Still, that didn't stop the nightmares that plagued me or the constant edginess I found myself on.

It took me a few moments of quiet reflection to realise the date, and to let out an inauspicious groan.

Today, of all days, had to be my birthday.

In previous years, I had enjoyed and even celebrated the event, counting down the birthdays until I turned 17 and the Trace was gone. But this year it simply served as a reminder that it wasn't only the anniversary of my birth, but the anniversary of my father's death.

With a sigh I dragged myself out from beneath the warm sheets and into the cold insecurity of the morning air. Burying my head in my hands, I took a deep breathe and tried to find any differences within me from yesterday. The Trace was gone - by wizarding law it would lift on my 17th birthday - and yet I didn't feel any different. As if I'd been expecting some mystical epiphany or burst of wisdom. In truth, I felt identical to how I had yesterday - exhausted.

With a resultant sigh, I stood up and grabbed my towel from the chair, heading to the bathroom. After taking a long, hot shower, I washed my face and brushed my teeth, before drying my hair with a quick-dry charm. There came a knock on the bathroom door as Draco waited patiently for the bathroom. "I'm just finishing" I called tiredly as I gathered up my things and opened my bedroom door, stepping out of the room and shivering in the cold air. The bathroom had been humid from the evaporation caused by the shower, in comparison my bedroom was like the Arctic.

Being a school day, I still had my lessons, so it wasn't even as if I could celebrate my birthday with a well needed lie in. I grumbled to myself as I dressed, flicking my wand towards the towering pile of books in the corner and trusting them to sort out which ones I would need for the day. By some small mercy, I didn't have Care of Magical Creatures, so there was no reason for me to embark on the trek out of the castle and into the freezing cold. Firstly however I had History of Magic with Professor Binns, followed swiftly by Defence Against the Dark Arts. Every girl's dream birthday, I'm sure.

There was a tap on my bedroom door as I was straightening my tie. Without waiting for me to open it, Honey burst into the room with an energetic squeal and wrapped her arms so tightly around me that I swear I would have passed out had it been a second longer. Sophia crept in quietly behind her, giving me a warm smile as she perched on my bed and flicked through the latest edition of Witch Weekly that I'd left on my bedside table.

"So, how do you feel?" Honey quizzed as she bounced slightly, clearly more enthusiastic about my birthday than I was. I shrugged my shoulders "the same as yesterday." Honey gasped in exasperation, rolling her eyes as she did so. "Honestly Li, it's your birthday! You should be excited!"

I sighed and put down my hairbrush, turning back to my friends and lounging on my chest of drawers, crossing my arms across my chest. "I'm just not in the mood for celebrations I suppose."