Chapter Fourteen - Take the leap

I wasn't expecting to see Draco when I returned back to the common room after Slughorn's dinner, and so it was no surprise when we found the common room empty except for a few seventh years trying to complete their Arithmancy homework before tomorrow's Quidditch match. Slytherin were playing Gryffindor, and it was my brother Ron's first time playing in a real match.

I said goodbye to the boys and Sophia, before stealthily creeping down the hallway, trying to minimize the clacking of my heels on the stone floor and waking everybody up. It's not difficult, I've gotten disturbingly good at sneaking about.

I open my door and creep through the crack. It was all dark, the only light coming from a small candle in the corner. I threw my purse with my wand inside down on the chair and took out my hair, slipping my shoes off as I went. It was only then that I saw Draco, sat at the foot of the bed, wearing only a pair of sweatpants. He was leaning over slightly, hands folded in front of him and he was staring at the floor. I jumped backwards, squinting in the darkness. "Draco?" I whispered. "What are you doing?"

My boyfriend looked up, as if he hadn't realized I'd come in, and blinked a few times. There were dark bags beneath his eyes, he looked thinner and overall more tired.

"Li. I need to know everything you heard today."

He didn't sound angry anymore, only desperate. I fold my arms in front of myself and purse my lips slightly, frowning at him. "I heard everything you said to that letter. What's going on Draco?"

Draco's shoulders heaved and he shook his head, rising to his feet. "It doesn't matter Li. I just need you to stay out of it, please?" I stared at him like he was mad. "Draco, whatever this is, whatever they're trying to make you do, you don't have to do it. You have a choice..."

"No I don't have a choice!" He shouted suddenly. I jumped, slowly backing away from him as he ran a hand through his hair and shut his eyes. I knew what he was doing, he often counted to 10 when he needed to calm down. In that time, I rushed over to my purse and quickly took out my wand. This was a Draco that I didn't trust, and I wouldn't put anything past him. I'd been hurt by people enough times to know that I had to take every precaution to protect myself, even if it meant hurting someone I loved. Draco had taught me that.

"Li, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have shouted" he whispered, stumbling over to me. I let him wrap his arms around me and bury his face in my hair, remaining perfectly still. For a moment, I pretended that it was still last year, when neither of us had Death Eater marks, and we were still normal.

Last year was a long time ago, I told myself bitterly.

"I want to know what's going on Draco." I continued to press in a gentle tone. Draco didn't get angry this time, he merely stroked my cheek and pressed his lips to my forehead. "I can't. I have to keep this to myself, otherwise people are going to get hurt. You are going to get hurt."

I frowned at him. "I can take care of myself."

Draco chuckled sadly. "No, you can't. Not against people like this. If I told you what was going on, they'd rip you into a billion pieces and make me watch. They wouldn't just kill you Li, they'd destroy you. I refuse to let that happen. So you just have to trust me on this. It's better to not know."

For arguments sake, I nodded slowly, but I wasn't going to let this drop. I'd find out what he was doing, one way or another. If that meant following him when he disappeared, so be it. If I had to tell Dumbledore that I thought Draco was up to something and get him to keep an eye out, so be it. I was going to do whatever it took to protect Draco, because no matter what he'd done or what he was being made to do, he was firstly and always my Draco. I'd gladly give my life if it meant keeping him safe.