Chapter Eleven - Hogwarts is full of secrets waiting to be discovered

We materialised moments later in Dumbledore's office. Nausea rips at my stomach and I know that Draco feels it too, because despite his best efforts his knees shudder a bit as he tries to stay upright. Dumbledore appears to be completely uninhibited by the apparition, striding away as if nothing had happened. He waves his wand and through a silent incantation, a comfortable looking sofa not unlike the ones in our common room shifts from nowhere, appearing right in front of Draco and I. "Place Miss Weasley down, Mr Malfoy" Dumbledore says as he turns his back to us, busying himself by pouring some water into a silver goblet.

Draco looks down at me and slowly lowers my body down onto the chair. How he managed to keep hold of me throughout that I'll never know. I suppose that all those years of playing Quidditch and going for long runs around the lake paid off.

"You should go to see Madam Pomfrey, Mr Malfoy," Dumbledore says as he turns back to us. "That cut is quite deep, and whilst I'm sure Miss Weasley did not intend to injure you, some of Madam Pomfrey's Wound-Be-Gone potion will soon fix you up."

Draco stands up firmly to Dumbledore, puffing out his chest. "I'm not leaving her." He snarls.

"I did that to you?" I croak, pointing to the deep cut on his cheek. Red blood trickles from it, a harsh contrast to his pale skin. Draco looks down at me and smiles weakly "it's just a scratch..."

I shake my head. "No! Draco, I want you to go and see Madam Pomfrey now! I can't believe I hurt you, I'm a terrible person, I..."

Draco crouches down beside me and squeezes my hand. "You are not a terrible person. It hardly hurt anyway, I can't even feel it now." To prove his point, he wipes it roughly with the back of his hand, and barely manages to hide his wince. "Go Draco, please. I'll be fine."

He stares at me for a moment and seems to be arguing with two sides of himself. His eyes flicker to Dumbledore, and then back to me. Finally, he sighs, and stands up. "I'll be nearby if you need me." His eyes flick to my neck and I know what he means. If I need him, call him by the locket. I've found that every time I need Draco, he turns up almost immediately. The locket we have to thank for that.

I smile weakly at him, and reluctantly he leaves.

Dumbledore holds out the goblet to me, and I sip it gratefully. He takes a seat opposite me, and patiently waits until I've finished drinking to speak.

"May I be correct in presuming that you fainted due to a sudden burning sensation that seemed to come directly from your left arm?" he said faintly, watching me with a sort of wise curiosity. Slightly taken aback, I nod slowly, before managing to stutter "yes."

"What did it feel like?" he continues.

I tried to think back, but my mind simply filled with pain and I shiver in fright. "It felt like my entire body was on fire. It started out soft, a tickle. But then it grew, so hot that it felt like I'd fell into the middle of the Sun. It was like I was being stabbed by a poisoned knife. I couldn't move."

Dumbledore looks away. "I saw him too Professor" I stutter, "Lord Voldemort."

Dumbledore's face snaps back to me, his eyes wide behind his half-moon shaped spectacles. "What did he say?" It's strange to see Dumbledore surprised. He's always been so wise, so knowing. I used to think that Dumbledore knew everything, that there wasn't a secret in the world that could be kept from him. Not a spell that he hadn't mastered.

That illusion had obviously be shattered when he'd been unable to burn the dark mark from my skin.

"He told me to come to my master, to come to him."

Dumbledore stroked his long white beard pensively, wrapped up deep in his thoughts. "That burning sensation you felt was him calling you to him. It's how he contacts his Death Eaters, even when they're far away. All of them would have felt that pain, but it only escalates to that point when they don't respond."