Chapter Two - Weasley's Wizard Wheezes

To Li,

I told you that you and Draco would get back together! You two are perfect for each other - both smart, gorgeous and moody (Joke!)

Weird how you haven't spoken or seen each other since the end of term though, I guess he's probably staying at home a lot and avoiding the public eye, what with his dad being sent to Azkaban and all. Still, keep your chin up, a couple more days and then you get to see him, and more importantly, me!

My summer has been boring - Mum and Dad had some stupid idea about us going to America to see some old friends of theirs that live over there. It's not even New York or LA, they have to live in the most stupid place, Hicksville USA.

Still, I did meet a cute guy though, and he's a wizard! His name is Brady, he's your typical All-American guy - blonde, tanned, a great body and wicked smile. He even promised to come and visit England some time in the next year, so you and Soph will get to meet him! I can't wait for...

I rip Honey's letter in half. It's not that I'm being mean, or that I don't care about whatever else Honey has to say, it's just that right now, I really can't be bothered to read it. I'll get the whole retelling in a couple of days anyway, once we return to school.

I toss the scraps into the kitchen fire and rise from my seat beside it, cracking my knuckles nervously. Meal times are always awkward nowadays, any comments I make, even if they're purely well-intended, are slapped down by my mother, and any replies that my siblings try to make receive a vicious glare too.

Ron fidgets in his seat as I take the last empty chair between him and Hermione. Today is our last day of the summer, tomorrow we thankfully return to Hogwarts and I won't have the endure the hateful glares and hurtful remarks from my mother and occasionally my father anymore.

Since we're all prepared for the new year, Mum decided to let us spend this last day in Diagon Alley, visiting Fred and George's new shop which has been a massive hit. The Daily Prophet has written numerous brilliant articles about it, and thanks to that Fred and George have been making more money that a Weasley has possessed for generations. Being the generous boys that they are, they've been unable to do enough for us back here in The Burrow, paying for magical specialists to come in and strengthen the foundations and wood of our home, making it unlikely to topple over anytime soon. We have more livestock for the small farm that our father keeps and more money to spend on our school equipment. For the first time, we can all afford new robes rather than the hand-me-downs of our elders.

"Hurry up Harry!" Ron bellows at our friend, who's been slaving in the kitchen for a good hour now. He insisted that he cook breakfast this morning, much to my mother's admiration, and informs us that he's particularly good at a muggle dish called 'pancakes.' I watched curiously as Hermione's face lit up with happiness when he'd announced what he was making, and listened as she informed us that her father had made them every Sunday when she was a child. Ron's smart retort had been "blimey, if it can make her that excited, it must be blooming delicious!"

Harry chuckles as he throws a tea towel over his shoulder and lifts the plate full of peculiar flat food onto the table. Ginny, Ron and I stare curiously as Hermione claps her hands with glee. "Do we have any maple syrup? Oh, and whipped cream! They're the best with whipped cream!" She squeals as Harry grins and sets a bowl of whipped cream and a jar of gloopy maple syrup on the table too. "Well, dig in!" He announces as we continue to stare at them nervously.

Being the brave Gryffindor and the least picky with food, Ron goes first, stabbing one of the 'pancakes' with his fork and moving it onto his plate. We all watch expectantly as he dabs some whipped cream on and cuts a small piece out of it. Everybody holds their breathe as Ron places it in his mouth and chews thoughtfully. We watch as he gulps and swallows the final remnants of the slice. Then, a brilliant grin appears. "Blimey Harry! I didn't know you could cook this well!" Ron compliments, grabbing more pancakes and putting them on his plate, greedily shoving it into his mouth. Harry chuckles as Ginny copies Ron, taking a pancake and trying it. "I suppose the Dursleys were useful in that respect."