Ch 8, Wand Shopping with a Minor Shock

Looking at the map I found that there is not just Daigon and Knockturn Allies; there is also Horizon Alley, River Alley, Vertic Alley and Crystal Alley. Looking for restaurants I notice a lot of them are in River Alley. So, I make my way there.

I don't know if it's similar to its name or not but it really does flows like a river. This alley opens up right next to the Leaky Cauldron, and seems to just exist for places to eat. There are so many different types of restaurants and cafés, even open little nooks for just purchasing food for take-out. I walk a little in and see a restaurant with a shabby entrance that makes a pub, but if you look closer, it leads downstairs to the main eating area. I walk in and book a table for us. They lead us downstairs, where the atmosphere is completely different from outside. While outside, it's the afternoon sun that lights up the street, down here the lighting is specific and only by small orbs on the tables. To give others privacy, there are privacy wards around each sitting area. And to order food you just point the food you want with your wand and it will be served to you in a few minutes.

We are led to a small nook. The waiter puts a high chair for Harry, who is just mesmerized with the falling water attraction on the walls, as it keeps changing colors. While he talks to the light, I stop the waiter and ask for some mashed fruit custard specifically for Harry. After confirming that, the waiter leaves and I order my own food from the menu.

While waiting for the food to come I think on what to do next – I have to get a wand for me, I also need books on basic spells, I need to go to muggle world for other shopping too, especially nappies for Harry. That reminds me, I need books on how to raise magical children too – Ugh, it feels like a lot.

I look at Harry and think, what do I need to be for him? I have already decided to adopt him...raise him as my own, but should I tell him of his parents? Of their death? Who I am? What if he won't like that I am taking care of him? I frown at that. He's just 2 years old. "I'll deal with it when I get there..." I mutter "Isn't that right Bubba?" I ask Harry with a smile. He just laughs and tries to reach for me. I grab his small hands. "Yeah...It'll be fine." I say with a sigh.

After having lunch and paying, I leave again for Daigon Alley to look for Ollivander's. I really need to get a wand. When I get there, it's the same old battered shop with just that one wand on the display. I walk in, the bell announcing my arrival. The shop is just filled to the brim with boxes, that frankly do not look clean. It looks like a hoarder's home...I muse silently.

An old man comes out of the back and stands behind the counter with a "Miss Verne, I wondered when I'd see you again." A look towards Harry and my ring "Or is it Lady Rosier now, I see you finally took your title."

"Yes...I did." I clear my throat "I am in need of a wand."

"Yes, the last one didn't suit, did it? But you didn't listen..." Mr. Ollivander rummages behind the counter and takes out the tape-measure. "Dominant hand?"

I present him my right "What do you mean the last one?" I ask cautiously. If he knows so much, might as well interrogate.

"The stolen one of course! I told you it wasn't yours...the wand chooses the wizard but...Oh well! Time to get one for you!" He disappears behind the shelves. All I hear is rummaging, a few coughs and scuffles, and something drops. After a few minutes, he comes out carrying four boxes. I try to feel them out and not one stands out. But maybe it's just the distance, I'm no expert now, am I...

He opens one by one; I try one by one but...nothing. I broke a vase, a window, some boxes fell down and almost set Ollivander's hair on fire. That was funny to see. He goes back and brings more boxes but they all give the same result. A good thirty minutes or so later he stops and stares at me "I wonder..." He whispers. "None of these would match you...no... Follow me if you would" and he starts walking to the back.

I wonder...If everything in Daigon Alley shops is 'in the back' then open the back of the shop!

We walk into what looks like a workshop. Ollivander sets a few blocks on the counter in the middle of the room. "Close your eyes and tell me which responds the most to you" he says after finish putting the blocks. Ah...I see...It's one of 'those' scenes, where he will craft my wand instead. Seems like I wouldn't have to buy a secondary custom one. Whoopie, I guess...

With my left-hand supporting Harry, I close my eyes and concentrate with my right-hand hovering over the woods. When I feel a strong one, as there was only one, I point it out. He sets it aside with a brief "Yew..." then sets different kinds of small vials and some feathers or boxes on the counter. "This is for your core. Same process." He points out. I do the same and point out two that give off the same response. Ollivander sets those aside too. I notice he didn't mutter their name. So, I ask.

"What are they?"

He stares again for a brief moment then, while putting the selected items on the table, says "The wand wood you chose is Yew, very powerful wood and very rare...the dual cores you chose are Thestral hair and...Phoenix feather, both signifying different things. While Phoenix feather is a fairly light core, Thestral hair signifies close relation to Death."

I suck in a sharp breath. As much as I know, which is not a lot, Yew wood is the same as Voldemort's wand and Thestral hair is definitely related to my being dead. And thank God the phoenix hair is not of the brother or twin wand or something. But nothing comes that easy now does it...

Ollivander continues, "And the most curious is that I was going to use that Phoenix feather for a Holly wand...the same Phoenix whose tail feather is this one, gave another feather – just one other" oh please don't "Yes...thirteen and half inches. Yew." Pardon for my language but... FUCK!