Ch 11, House Hunting (2)

As we landed in, what looked to be the entry gate of the property, I realized I had undermined the word 'cottage'. From the front gate, we had to walk a good 10-minute trail through a garden, that spread as far as I could see, with huge maple and pine trees. After a short while there was a group of cherry blossoms on the right too. Then at the entrance of the house was a flower archway, that were not in bloom yet but still flush green. The pavement that led up to the front door had different homegrown plants and vegetables on either side. The house itself was much larger than what you'd assume from a 'Cottage'. It looked to be two story high, with a huge round balcony, that oversaw the entrance. The color of the house was dark cherry red, mixed with brown and black in some places. A wraparound porch wrapped the entrance with a plush sitting area to the right.

As we entered, I could hear a few voices here and there. The entrance hall led straight towards the back garden, with doors to different rooms on either side. A little towards the left were the stairs that led to the first floor. The furniture was all either dark wood or cherry red, with a little brown thrown to soften the mix. As the voices grew louder, I saw a group of 3 to 4 men, with the age group of 18 to 30, coming towards the entrance, with a goblin leading them. These must be the curse-breakers...

The goblin upon seeing us at the entrance, bows to Gornuk. Seeing that, the others also stop talking, and bow, with different variations of greetings. Gornuk responds to the goblin first (bowing) then to the others next (not bowing) and introduces us as a whole. "Lady Rosier, these are the curse-breakers responsible for the wards, Mr. Rowen, Mr. McLaen, Mr. Spot and Mr. Weasley. Everyone, this is Lady Rosier and Heir Rosier." He points, respectively.

Wait a minute... Mr. Weasley as in the one I'm thinking of? Was he working with Gringotts by this time? I don't remember.

"Good afternoon. Thank you for working hard on the property. I'll entrust it in your good hands." I politely say with a little nod of acknowledgment.

They reply in kind, with 'We'll do our best' or 'Trust us'. After they are gone, I ask Gornuk about the house elves here. "Weren't they difficult with me not present?"

"Hardly. They recognize us Goblins when we want to work on properties. It's a sign that the head of house is present and functioning."

Then we continue with the little tour. After that I can say, if the wards get finished early, I can see us moving here in no time. Although it is quite big for my liking. But I guess I should get used to that feeling and stop associating words with the same definitions as before.

-LeFay Manor-

We travel to LeFay Manor in the same way as Rosier Cottage. This time we land right before the entrance door of... Oh. My. God. This place is huge. I think it may be the same size as the Malfoy Manor in the movies, maybe more. The color scheme is the same as Slytherin – black, sliver and green. Although they use different shades of green and not so much black, and silver only for handles and chandeliers and such.

The door leads to a huge receival hall with two sets of stairs on either side, joined by an overlooking balcony. I don't know why, but I can just imagine Voldemort looking down at everyone from up there. That's an amusing thought. I snicker a little. Anyway, behind that on the tall wall reaching to a glass-orb-ceiling, is the family tapestry.

While I'm observing this, three distinct pops are heard in the empty hall. Three house elves, one in the middle an older elf but standing tall with a well-tailored suit, floundered by two others; a female in a frock and apron on the left, and a young boy/man in a set of overalls on the right.

"Hello. You must be the house elves here. Could you please tell me your names?" I ask, looking at each of them. The one in the suit steps forward and bows deep.

"I am Jade, Mistress. I am the Head Elf and the Personal Elf of the Head of House." He steps back.

"I am Emerald, Mistress. I am the Kitchen Head Maid and the Main Cook of the House." The one on the left says.

"I am Quartz. I am responsible for the Gardens and Stables Upkeep." The last one introduces.

They all seem to be well educated, and their speech is very different from the other house elves. But then I remember that the other house elves I know are Dobby (severely abused) and Kreacher (Mad), so it makes sense.

"I am the new Lady of the House and this is my Heir." I point at Harry in my arms. "We are looking at properties to look for a place to stay. Could you give a brief tour of the house?" I ask looking at Jade.

"Certainly Mistress. Please follow me." Jade answers and the other two pop away. He then leads us to the left of the house. When we have walked a bit ahead, I ask Jade, "Why are your speech much clearer than other house elves?"

"From the establishment of the house, our Masters and Mistresses believed that house elves should be educated so that they can perform their duties well and effectively. But as it was a hassle to teach every new born or brought ones, the Head Elves were given the task to educate new elves. Even without the Head of House for some time, we have followed our orders." He explains while heading upstairs to show the first floor.

That is the most I've heard a house elf ever speak...

-after forty-five minutes-

After the tour is over, I can conclude one thing – if I will live in this house, I would need a better way to travel because this place is so tiringly huge. And there is a torture dungeon, like with all the equipment for torture. So, two things then. I love the library and the potions lab, but it's not a place to live because until Harry is older or at least Hogwarts age, I want him close, so that if anything happens, I would know where he is.

So, this one's out. I say so to Gornuk, when I dismiss the elf. Obviously, I'm not going to say this in front of him. I don't know if he'll break or take offense, I'm terrified of both.

Next is Hufflepuff Cottage. I hope that it at least lives up to the Hufflepuff image – Cuddly and Deadly.