The Kiss

We made our way to the dining hall buzzing with good-natured competition from the range. Finding an empty table, Ghost pulled out my chair gallantly.

"Only the best for our champion!" He said with a wink behind his mask.

I curtsied playfully. "Why thank you, kind sir."

As we loaded our trays with food, easy laughter bubbled amid jokes and stories from our squadmates. Returning, I squeezed in beside Ghost, our sides brushing companionably.

We dug in as Ghost regaled us with plans for our next op. "Mark my words, this'll be our biggest success yet."

I grinned, admiring his passion. "With you leading us, how can we fail?"

His masked cheeks heated up visibly at the praise. Under the table, his hand found mine, giving a gentle squeeze that sent delicious sparks up my arm.

Alejandro's eyes danced knowingly as he spoke. "Sí, our fearless leader wants only the best for his lady."

Soap grinned. "Getting sweet on her, are you mate?"

Before Ghost could splutter a reply, his grip tightened playfully on my hand. I winked, giving his fingers an answering squeeze to let him know I didn't mind one bit.

His thumb rubbed soothing circles against my skin, sending my pulse pounding. But for the first time since Konig, the fluttering wasn't unwelcome.

This felt right - surrounded by friends who knew and accepted me, hearts seemingly aligning in unexpected ways. And as Ghost's gentle touch ignited new hopes, sunlight warming my smile, all seemed bright.

As we enjoyed our lunch together, laughter flowing easily, my gaze happened to drift past Ghost's shoulder. My smile faltered briefly as I spotted Konig across the room, tucked intimately into a corner booth with some bleach-blonde bimbo clinging to his arm like a cheap knockoff handbag.

"Ugh, get a room you two," Soap grumbled, following my stare with disgust.

Alejandro scoffed loudly. "Some people have no class, displaying such affections in public like hungry dogs."

Ghost's hand found mine consolingly under the table as he spoke. "Pay them no mind, lass. Clear as day he's just trying to make you jealous with such cheap theatrics."

I smirked, regaining my composure. "Please, as if I have any reason left to be jealous of that." But internally, I had to concede Ghost had a point - Konig's excessive PDA did seem a petty attempt to get under my skin. Well, two could play at that game.

As if on cue, Ghost's grip tightened around my fingers, thumb still brushing tender circles against my knuckles. Glancing at him from beneath my lashes, I saw his masked face tilt just slightly in question. I responded with a subtle squeeze and nip of my bottom lip, feeling downright wicked.

His eyes crinkled fondly as if to say I've got you, lass. And with that simple trust between us, Konig and his sad display faded into irrelevance. All that mattered was this table, this found family, and the steady comfort of Ghost's hand linking us together against the world.

As lunch carried on, Konig's flaunting only grew more cringeworthy. His bimbo had progressed from clingy arm touches to practically feeling him up right there at the table.

Soap dry heaved exaggeratedly. "Think I just lost my appetite, mates."

Alejandro nodded in disgust. "Sí, such public displays of... affection...belong in private." He locked eyes meaningfully with me, smirking as if to say unlike some.

Ghost's thumb continued tracing slow circles on my hand while the other toyed idly with my hair, sending shockwaves through me. I leaned into his touch, smiling sweetly at Konig from over Ghost's shoulder.