Chapter 10: Lesson One

Onyx awoke to the sound of bustling in her room. She rubbed her tired eyes and saw the wisp of a dress slip through her door. She looked around the room and saw a new pair of clothing sitting on one of her dressers. Yawning, she rose from her bed and dressed herself.

She wore a white shirt with medium-length puffed sleeves. A brown and gold corset wrapped around her waist, with an open skirt in the front flowing over her baggy brown pants. She had a thin belt with loops wrapped around her waist, and gold and brown boots. To complete the look, she wore a short white shawl over the front, with a gold necklace. The clothes were comfortable, flattering, and fit her perfectly. I could get used to this luxury.

She walked to the bathroom and washed her face. She undid her braids and allowed her hair to fall in tight, long curls. When she looked in the mirror, she was surprised to find a powerful confident woman staring back at her. She didn't feel that way, but she was glad it didn't show to others.

She heard a knock and answered, "Come in."

Keanu stepped through the door. He wore a casual white tunic with black pants, a black belt around his waist, and black boots. His sword was in a sheath slung across his back. His locks were tied in a low ponytail, with silver rings within it.

His eyes roamed her form up and down as if seeing her for the first time. Onyx felt nervous. "I see my sister has chosen your outfit. She has a distinct taste."

Onyx's eyes widened. "You have a sister? I didn't know that."

He raised a brow. "There's a lot you don't know about me." Onyx sensed a bit of annoyance in his tone.

"Not for long," she replied in defiance. She didn't like the way he was speaking to her. As if she asked to be here in the first place.

He stared at her with unreadable eyes. "Interesting."

"I'm sure you didn't come in here to have a chat with me. What do you want."

"Why do you assume I don't want to chat with you?"

"Because ever since I found out who you were, you've been acting cold towards me." Onyx was surprised to find a hint of resentment in her tone. Did she really care about how much attention he was giving her?

He looked at her amused. "Well, you're right about one thing. I didn't come to just chat with you. Your training begins today. Make sure you eat breakfast in the dining hall. Cato will escort you-"

"Why can't you do it?"

Keanu stared at her, face blank. "Because I have more important matters to take care of." Onyx felt a little hurt by that comment.

"As I was saying... Cato will escort you to the dining hall. Afterwards, he will bring you to the library where you will begin to learn more details of the history behind the dragons with me. I'm assuming you know how to read?"

"No..."

He heaved a great sigh. "I suppose I'll have to teach you to read as well." He turned and walked out of the door. This visit was pointless. He should have just had Cato come and tell me these things. Now I have to sit here and wait for Cato to pick me up like a child.

She waited about 10 minutes before Cato finally showed up. He bowed. "My apologies, I got caught up with some...things. Right this way."

He and her guards led her through the maze of hallways until they reached another set of dark oak doors. Pushing them open she found herself in a massive dining room filled with people.

The ceilings were at least 100 feet tall, with windows 20 feet tall shining light onto the massive table with high-backed velvet chairs that stretched across the room. The table looked like it could fit about 50 people. The walls were carved with beautiful designs, flakes of gold garnered on everything from the floors to the endless roof above. Onyx was astounded. Where am I? How has nobody found this place yet? How can the dragons afford such splendor?