Chapter 27: Preparations

Ludo laid in his bed thinking about everything that happened. He found his long lost brother, and now they finally have a chance to restore their race!

They'll win the war that is to come, and he and Rigel can....repopulate..... Ludo felt a sadness come over him. There were no more female serpents left. His mother was the last one. He would have to bond with another race of dragon.

He shook the thought away. Part serpent is better than no serpent at all. These were the cards they were dealt. He had to do the best he can with them. Even still, the serpents will be the greatest race to ever exist.

Ludo smiled thinking of what the history books would say about them;

The serpents, the most powerful race, started out with humble beginnings, controlled with fear by the vicious race called the beasts. That is until two heroes came and saved the serpents from extinction. Because of their sacrifice, the serpents have had an extraordinary return and were finally able to vanquish the beast.

He chuckled to himself. He can't wait to get started on Rigel's training and introduce him to the foreman. Wait....the foreman. He shot up. I didn't kill Onyx!

Ludo palmed his forehead. He was supposed to kill Onyx. The foreman specifically told him if she was dangerous, to eliminate her. And she was. She was very dangerous, even if she didn't know it yet. Ludo felt the power stirring within her.

He let his feelings for her get in the way of his mission. That won't happen again.

He turned on his bed closing his eyes. He was ready for tomorrow, ready to start training Rigel. The faster he trains Rigel, the faster he can kill Onyx and restore his race.

***

Ludo awoke at sunrise ready to start the day. It was going to be a good day he could feel it.

He washed his face in the wash bin and dressed himself in a simple nude tunic with brown pants and a brown sash. He tied on his boots and walked out of his hut towards Rigel's.

When he arrived he knocked on the doorframe, not wanting to barge in at the wrong time....

He heard a faint "come in" and entered finding Rigel sitting on the bed lacing his boots.

Ludo smiled. "You ready for today?"

"What's today again?"

"We start your training today!"

Rigel looked up from his boots confused. "I thought I was going to meet the foreman today?"

"You are don't worry, but then I thought better of it. For now, I'll be training you the basics in hand to hand combat, sword combat, and magic. Tomorrow you will meet the foreman."

"I can't do magic." Rigel deadpanned.

"Of course you can," Ludo said spreading his arms out. "You're a dragon! A serpent at that." he winked.

Rigel rolled his eyes. "I've never once showed signs of being able to use magic."

"It's because you don't know what to channel. Thats what I'll be teaching you today." Ludo stepped to the side motioning towards the door. "Let's get started."

They walked out of the hut, Ludo leading him to an open space towards the bottom of the village where training is held.

Everything was rusted and filled with dust. The serpents had been in hiding, so there was never a need to use them.

Rigel picked up a rusted ax with a look of disgust. "I'm not training with this."

"Of course you're not training with that," Ludo scoffed. He pulled out a large rusted sword. "You're training with this!" he beamed.