Chapter 13: Ludo

"Thats the last time I'm nice to him." grumbled Onyx under her breath. She put down her pride and decided to be a little vulnerable with him and he just looked at her like she was the most revolting thing in the world. What did she see in him?

Onyx looked around the room in boredom. Getting up, she skimmed her fingers along the books until one caught her eye.

It was a black book with red lining on the spine. She couldn't understand the words, but the lining was so detailed and intricate, she couldn't help but notice it.

Taking it out the shelf she flipped through the pages until she stopped at a picture.

The picture depicted what looked like an elf, surrounded by a chorus of strange symbols. The elf was floating with a menacing smile on its face.

Onyx wasn't sure why, but she felt drawn to the elf. She wanted to know what those symbols meant, and who the elf was.

She was stirred out of her thoughts when she heard Catos voice from behind her.

"The Malus liber. Interesting choice of read."

Onyx spun around startled. "Cato! Where'd you come from? I didn't hear you come in."

"You must be aware of your surroundings at all times." He turned around and walked towards the door. "Come, it's time for lunch in the dining pavilion."

They took the long trek there, and upon arrival, Onyx sensed a different atmosphere than the awkward one from that morning. Everyone seemed more relaxed, and at ease. A couple people had actually smiled at her.

Onyx was confused. She wasn't sure what had changed from before. She looked to Cato.

"Why is everyone so.... happy?"

Cato smirked. "It's the end of the work day for a lot of people. Morale is usually up."

"But it's only the afternoon..?"

"Dragons don't work late. We prioritize using the other half of the day for bonding with family members. Did Keanu not cover this with you today? Our cultures and customs?"

Onyx shook her head scowling. "No he didn't. He yelled at me, then proceeded to tell me about the war again, and then the life force of dragons."

Cato looked at Onyx sternly. "He told you our life force?"

"Yes. He said his father made him."

"Interesting." His features softened a bit and he turned away from Onyx. "You can sit anywhere, the food should be out in about 10 minutes."

"You're not going to sit with me?"

He turned to her and cocked a brow. "Are you going to bombard me with questions?"

"Probably."

He turned away. "Then no."

Grumbling Onyx walked to the back of the table and sat alone bored. She analyzed the room wondering if Keanu was going to eat here. He's probably too high and mighty to sit with the common folk.

Onyx was stirred from her thoughts when she felt the whoosh of a person sitting next to her. She turned and saw an extremely attractive man—dragon?—that even rivaled Keanu.

His skin was medium toned, and his hair was white—like hers!—but was curly at the top with a  short tapered fade on the sides. His brows were heavy with slits in the sides, with light brown eyes. He had big silver earrings, and he was covered with black ink on his strong arms and neck. His black tunic was sliced open at the front, showcasing a chiseled chest. He was very attractive.