Chapter 32: The Pit

Rigel loved training with Germaine. He was very strong and demanding, but gentle when needed. He taught Rigel all types of combat techniques that he didn't even know was possible.

He showed him that he can recover in midair, he showed him proper exercises to increase his agility, and the list goes on. Rigel felt unstoppable.

He was excited to share everything he learned with Ludo.

Until he saw him walk towards them.

Ludo seemed off. Extremely off. He wasn't his normal, cheery self. His shoulders sagged a bit, and his eyes seemed zoned out.

He awkwardly waved at them. "Hey guys. How was training today?"

Rigel frowned. "I was excited to share with you my progress, but you seem off."

"I'm fine," he turned to Germaine. "Since Rigel wont tell me, how was his training today?"

Germaine cleared his throat. "It was very good, he's quite the prodigy. He picks up on things very quickly and accurately. He was a pleasure to work with today, and I'm excited to see what he'll accomplish tomorrow."

Ludo smiled. "Great! We'll see you tomorrow then."

Germaine waved and left the two of them standing in an awkward silence.

"So..." Rigel flicked his eyes towards Ludo. "What's for dinner?"

"We'll see in the dining hall."

They walked in silence until they got to the hall. It was just a regular building with wooden tables and chairs. Rigel wasn't sure why they called it a "dining hall" but whatever works for them.

Once they got their food, they sat and started eating the meat and veggies served to them. The food was okay, but it was better than nothing. Besides, Rigel was starving from training all day.

"So Ludo...What'd you do today?"

"I discussed a training plan for the village with the foreman."

"What plan did you come up with?"

"Just have them do the same things you're doing."

"Oh okay..."

They ate in silence once more. Rigel needed to figure out a way of getting Ludo to admit what really happened. Something wasn't right.

"Any interesting news from today?"

Ludo side-eyed him. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering."

Ludo seemed as if he was contemplating saying something. "There was..." he looked like he was about to object, but decided otherwise. "After dinner we can talk more about it."

Rigel beamed. "Okay!"

***

Ludo patted the spot next to him on the cot. After dinner, they walked over to Ludo's hut to have a discussion.

"Tell me everything."

Ludo sighed. "Rigel, so much has been happening. So much. Most of it behind closed doors," he turned to face him. "You know how I said our mother was the only woman to survive the war?"

Rigel nodded.

"Well she wasn't the only one."

"What?!"

"Rigel, the foreman has been hiding two daughters-twins!-for the past 18 years. They're around our age."

"Thats awesome! We have a chance to restore our race! Full blooded serpents."

"Yes, but that also poses problems," Ludo furrowed his brows. "If the foreman lied to us about this, what else has he lied about? Or would be willing to lie about?"

Rigel was silent for a while. "I didn't think of it that way."

"Exactly, most people don't...Not just that, but it makes me wonder his true driving force. Do his priorities lie with the serpents, or with his daughters?"

Rigel furrowed his brows. "Thats a good question...I don't know."

Ludo looked like he was about to respond, when the foreman walked in.

"Ludo. You swore a binding oath."

Ludo's eyes widened. "I'm sorry, I forgot! Please-"

The foreman put a hand up. "As soon as you told him I was notified. I trusted you and you broke it. You know the consequences."

"Please, show me mercy! I won't do it again!"

The foreman shook his head. "No. Let's go."

Ludo got up, hands visibly shaking, and followed the foreman out his hut. Rigel waited till they were out and tentatively poked his head out. He wanted to know where they were going.

Just as he was about to follow them, he felt a hand touch his shoulder. He looked back and saw Germaine. "Don't follow them. For your sake. Ludo will be alright."

"Where'd you come from?"

"I was standing here for a while. I wanted to speak to Ludo but the foreman went in before me, so I listened to what happened."

"Where is he taking him?"

Germaines face darkened. "We call it the pit. It's where we face our consequences when we disobey the rules."

"What's it like?"

"Nobody knows except those that have been there. When they return, they don't speak about it. No matter how much you poke and prod, they refuse to speak."

Rigel looked in the direction the foreman and Ludo went. He wanted to know what was down there, but was afraid of the consequences.

Whats so bad down there, that nobody dares to speak about it?

Germaine grabbed Rigel's shoulder. "Hey don't worry about it. Ludo's strong he'll be fine. Let's get you back to your hut. It's been a long day."

Rigel nodded distractedly, as Germaine led him to his hut. What is going on?