Chapter 12: Keanu

Keanu left the library feeling disgusted. She looked at him like he was a wounded animal in need of a hug. He wasn't wounded and didn't need a hug, especially by someone with human and elf blood. Why did I tell her that?

He went through the maze of hallways until he reached Cato's room. He knocked on the door twice before he heard a gruff voice say, "Enter."

He found Cato sitting at his desk. Cato's room was small and bare, housing only the necessities with basic oak furniture and a small window. He was offered another room but denied it saying he didn't need all that space.

Keanu walked through the door and approached Cato. "The lesson is over. She's waiting in the library for you." Cato slowly looked up from his work.

"So quick?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

Keanu rolled his eyes. "I don't need to explain myself to you... but if you must know it was because she pissed me off," he said with a smirk.

Cato's lips slowly pulled into a smile. "She does have that effect on people doesn't she." Keanu chuckled. "Very much so. Feel free to take your time getting to her. It wouldn't hurt for her to learn some patience."

Cato laughed, then gestured to the bench at the foot of his bed. "Would you like to take a seat? I've got time to kill anyways, and it's been a while since I've caught up with you."

Keanu shrugged and walked over to the bench. "Well, what would you like to know?" he asked as he plopped down on the bench.

"What are people saying about your father's decision to keep her alive?"

Keanu scowled. "They all believe he's a fool and I do too. The only people who support that decision are those wild zealots. It's completely unrealistic to keep everyone at peace. She's gonna cause more trouble than anything else and we're gonna waste our resources trying to protect her."

Cato nodded. "I agree. There's nothing we can do about it though... but Keanu?" Keanu looked up.

"What did your father mean when he said you know how to keep peace but you just don't want to?"

Keanu was silent for a while, contemplating how to respond. "He believes in a fantasy. He thinks if I bond with another dragon, we can fix things. It's more complicated than that." he smirked, "Besides, there's no desirable dragons here I want to bond with. They're all conceited and ugly on the inside. No real value or depth to be found."

Cato threw his head back and erupted into a booming laughter. "Aye, I'll drink to that. That's why I haven't married yet. My mother keeps asking why, I think she's getting worried about my...preferences."

Keanu laughed. "Well, to each it's own."

Cato smiled shaking his head. "That it is." He scooted his chair back and got up. "Well, I better go get Onyx, or else I'll never hear the end of it from her." Keanu nodded and Cato exited the room leaving Keanu alone.

Keanu leaned back and sighed. This whole situation was stressful. Onyx's existence complicated everything. All his plans, all the preparation, all of it was for absolutely nothing. His thoughts were interrupted when he saw the door open softly, a girl slipping through. Not a girl. Flavia.

She wore brown shorts under a revealing gold skirt. She wore a cropped top, with gold rings hanging from the bottom, and had smooth pale skin with flowy golden hair, which she wore seductively down her back. She was a beautiful girl, but Keanu didn't pay attention to that.

She closed the door behind her and stared at him with expecting green eyes. "I was looking for you and Cato said you were in his room." She sauntered over to him and sat next to him on the bench. Keanu scooted farther away. She frowned.