Chapter 19: Time

Ludo rinsed his face in the sink and stared at himself in the mirror. He spotted a stray hair near his eyebrows and muttered a spell, causing it to fall out. Appearances were a big deal where he was from.

He left his bathroom and put on some clothes. He wore a regular forrest green tank tunic, with baggy white pants, and a sage sash around his waist, slipping on some forrest green boots to match. It was a simple yet classy fit.

He put on some golden wrist braces to add a bit of zing to it. Onyx will love this. he thought to himself.

He strolled out of his room towards the dining pavilion ready to eat that delicious breakfast. He was starving.

As he walked down the long hallways he heard Onyx's voice protest something. He stopped and slowly peeked around a corner coming closer to the sound.

He saw Keanu, Cato, and Onyx walking together. He felt a ping of jealousy in his chest.

"Keanu, I really don't want to leave."

She's leaving?

Keanu answered her gruffly. "Onyx now is not the time to argue. Calix is loose here somewhere. We need to go."

Ludo's eyes widened. Calix? The elf?

He was going to have to speed up his plans sooner than he realized.

He smoothed back his hair, and turned the corner smoothly as if he didn't just eavesdrop on them. Play it cool.

"Oh hey Onyx," he smiled at her. "Cato, Keanu." he nodded towards them. Mostly at Cato. He didn't like Keanu.

Onyx's eyes lit up. "Ludo!"

"You guys heading towards the dining pavilion? Breakfast smells good doesn't it?"

Keanu's eyes flicked towards Onyx, then back at Ludo. He narrowed his eyes. "Why do you ask?"

Ludo cocked his head to the side putting a confused look on his face. "What do you mean? I just wanted to sit with Onyx...like I normally do."

Keanus jaw ticked.

Cato looked at Keanu. "It doesn't hurt for her to eat before.... her training."

They seemed to pass a look of understanding. Keanu nodded. "Yes we were just going to escort her, but we have some things to attend to. Do you mind bringing her?"

Ludo nodded graciously. "I would be honored."

Onyx went to follow, but Keanu held her back a moment and enveloped her in a hug. Ludo thought he saw him whisper something in her ear, but he had already released her by then.

Onyx looked a bit shaken.

Ludo felt jealous.

Keanu and Cato walked off, leaving the two of them alone. Ludo smiled down at her. She looked very pretty this morning.

"Shall we go?" he held out his arm in the most charming fashion he could. She smiled that gorgeous smile of hers grabbing his arm, and he led her to the dining pavilion.

***

"I told the old lady no, but she insisted I had a piece of pork fat on my chin. I personally would never let something that delicious carelessly dribble down my chin." Ludo looked down ashamed. "I was wrong. It was definitely on my chin. Greasy too."

Onyx threw her head back and erupted into laughter. "Ludo, I would sell my left pinky toe to see a piece of pork fat on your chin."

Ludo winked at her. "Careful, I might take you serious."