Chapter 29: Mother dear

Onyx awoke to the sound of her door opening. After Keanu left yesterday, she bathed herself and laid down. Despite the news of her brother, she was just too exhausted to do anything about it.

It felt like one thing after another was happening, and there was no breaks, no relief. She figured Keanu would handle this one.

She looked up and saw Cato standing in the doorway. "Are you well?"

She nodded. "Why?"

"Keanu requests you join him for a private breakfast. He wanted to make sure you were rested and alert."

"I am...why didn't he come here himself?"

"He's busy setting everything up," Cato motioned towards the door. "Let's go."

"Can I get ready first?"

"There's no need for that."

Onyx was about to protest but was silenced by Cato's finger. "Shhhh. Trust me. Come."

She rolled her eyes and got out of bed—barefoot— and followed Cato to Keanu's room.

***

Once they arrived Cato left the room closing the door behind him.

Keanu was sitting at his desk doing paperwork.

"Um... you said there'd be breakfast?"

He pointed to his bed distracted.

Onyx looked and saw a tray with avocado toast and an over medium egg on top. There were three glasses, one with water, milk, and orange juice.

Keanu got up from his desk holding a map and motioned towards the drinks. "I didn't know which one you wanted so I got you all three."

Onyx smiled. How thoughtful.

She sat on the bed setting the tray on her lap and started eating her food. Keanu sat on the other end of the bed and placed the map in between them.

"I for-see a huge war coming between us and the elves. I'm not sure you're ready to fight, and I'm almost positive it's centered around you so that puts you in immediate danger," he pointed to different spots on the map. "These are emergency bunkers we've built a long time ago. They're a bit dusty but they're functional and they will keep you safe."

Onyx scowled. "I don't want to be holed up in some dusty bunker. I want to go out there and fight with you guys. Thats what I've been training for!"

"I understand that, but you're not ready. Your life is of the utmost importance, and I'm responsible for you."

"So this is about your ego?"

"No," Keanu face palmed. "This girl......My ego is the last thing I'm worried about, I already don't look good by disobeying my father's orders and visiting your brother early. Now he's gone. There's nothing else I could do to make me look worse."

"I could die."

Keanu's eyes flickered an emotion Onyx couldn't quite decipher. Fear? Anxiety? Longing??

"Don't say that. You're not going to die. I'd sacrifice my own life before I'd let you die."

"Why?"

He looked at her silent for a moment. He's usually good at hiding his emotions, but for some reason, he seemed to struggle. He looked like he desperately wanted to say something but couldn't.

"I...don't have the words."

Onyx felt a tension that wasn't there before. She spoke before she could process what she was saying. "Then don't use words."