The Return

"Yes, who's there?" a croaky voice asked as the door swung open. An old lady with flyaway silver hair and several cats hanging off of her answered the door.

"Good day to you Arabella," Professor McGonagall greeted warmly.

"Good afternoon Mrs Figg," Heather and Hadrian both intoned politely.

Mrs Figg's eyes lit up in recognition and she ushered her visitors in. "Oh Minerva, and with dear Heather and Hadrian too! Come in, come in." She led the way into her living room, nudging a few cats out of the way. "What brings you to visit, dears?"

Professor McGonagall gestured to the fireplace and explained, "We would like to borrow the use of your floo, if you would allow it? I am chaperoning these two to Diagon Alley for Miss Potter's Hogwarts shopping."

"Of course! My, how time flies; already eleven are you, Heather? Why, I remember when you were still just a wee thing, barely up to my knees!"

"Yes, yes. Arabella, the floo if you would? We really should be on our way," the Professor cut in impatiently.

Mrs Figg nodded and went to the fireplace. Meanwhile, Professor McGonagall turned to the siblings. "The floo is a form of magical transportation which we will be using to get to Diagon Alley. Do you recall how to use the floo, Miss Potter?"

Heather searched her vague childhood memories. "I have a faint idea, Papa usually carried me through though. We have to toss the powder into the fireplace, step into the flames then say the name of the place we want to go." She looked at the Professor questioningly for confirmation.

Professor McGonagall nodded curtly. "Quite right, Miss Potter. That powder is called floo powder." She held out a jar of powder and grabbed a handful. "Our destination for today is Diagon Alley," The Professor carefully enunciated the words and paused for Heather and Hadrian to repeat them to her satisfaction. "I shall proceed first, then Mr Potter and lastly Miss Potter. Are we clear?"

Waiting until her charges nodded in agreement, Professor McGonagall threw in the floo powder, stepped into the fire and stated clearly, "Diagon Alley!" In a rush of green flames, she disappeared.

This being the first time Hadrian had witnessed floo travel, he jumped a little in shock. He then took a deep breath and followed the Professor's instructions. With a whoosh and a feeling of vertigo, he was off.

Heather was left standing in front of the fire. Shooting Mrs Figg a quick smile and goodbye, she too made off into the floo system. The spinning and whirling overwhelmed her before she was spit out onto an unfamiliar floor. She remained sprawled out in the ground for a few more moments before gracefully returning to her feet in an action contrasting her earlier clumsiness. She tried to ignore Rian's snickering as she brushed the spot off her already shabby clothing. Her burning cheeks gave away her mortification.

Stifling her own sounds of amusement, Professor McGonagall led he way out a backdoor. "This is an inn called the Leaky Cauldron. It caters only to magical folk and is an entrance to Diagon Alley." The door opened to a courtyard which had a large brick wall boxing it in. She used her wand to tap a series of bricks on the wall. "Take note of the order which I tap these bricks," she stated as she stepped back. The bricks shifted and rearranged themselves as they reformed into a large archway.

Both siblings hesitantly stepped through the archway at the Professor's behest. This would be their first foray into the Wizarding world in eight years. Their eyes widened when they took in the sight of the magical district.

Various shops and stores flanked a wide cobblestone street. Vendors peddled magical wares like cauldrons and broomsticks. Heather held onto her brother's hand while they trailed after the Professor. Different things caught their attention. The large pointed hats on the witches' heads. A shop selling love potions and philtres. An old hag in a street corner offering séances. They were mesmerised as they ogled the sights of this strange new world they didn't remember being a part of.