Mistletoe

As Heather lay in bed the night before Christmas Eve, she smiled to herself. She was looking forward to going to the Burrow tomorrow to celebrate with the Weasleys. Hadrian and the others had already left at the start of the Yule break, but she had stayed because she still had work. Without conscious thought, however, her mind wandered to her latest quandary: one Draco Malfoy. What could possibly be the matter with him? Severus had spoken no more of the matter since the night of Slughorn's party, but she hadn't stopped thinking about it.

A tickle at the back of her mind made her sit up. Who could possibly be standing outside her door at this hour? She hurriedly threw her dressing gown on and left her bedroom. Meredith, her portrait, looked at her with relief when she saw her coming out.

"Oh thank goodness, Heather! Your Professor Snape is at the door, and he- well, I think you'd best let him in."

Her normally cheerful portrait looked uncharacteristically fretful. Worry rose up in Heather as she went to open the door. Was Severus hurt? Why was he looking for her at this time of the night?

She let out a little gasp as soon as her eyes set upon the man outside her rooms. The words she wanted to say were swallowed when arms reached out and wrapped around her. She couldn't even call it a hug, more a desperate clutch.

Quickly pulling him through the entrance, she waved the door shut to keep the winter draught out and locked it tightly. Once she had ensured there would be no prying eyes, Heather focussed on the faintly trembling man in her arms.

"Come on, let's get you seated," she said softly. Leading him to the nearest couch, she settled him down and waved her hand to set her kettle to boil. She didn't even consider the fact that she had used wandless magic, though the man probably wouldn't even notice, in the state he was in.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" she asked, looking him over worriedly. He shook his head, closing his eyes tiredly. She combed her fingers through his hair, hoping to sooth him. A sharp whistle signalled that the water had come to a boil. Without moving from her position in front of Severus, her magic prepared the cuppa how he liked it then floated it over.

"Here, Severus," she said, plucking the teacup out of the air and handing it to him. He accepted it wordlessly, but didn't drink.

"What's the matter?" She tried to keep her voice quiet and calm, but it wasn't easy, considering how anxious she was. What could possibly have gotten Severus so despondent?

"Albus," he finally croaked.

She tried not to react at that. Why, when she got her hands on that damnably annoying old man...

"I have to kill him."

Shocked, she blurted out, "Excuse me?"

Severus studiously avoided her gaze. "The curse on Albus' hand, I couldn't find a way to reverse it. He has but months left."

"Oh, Severus. That isn't your fault. You're not killing-"

"But I will!" he said harshly, throwing the cup on the floor. They both ignored the shattering porcelain. "He made me promise to kill him! He doesn't want to make Draco a killer, but he has no care for me!" He hunched over, pressing the heels of his hands into his eyes.

This was getting more confusing by the second. Draco?

"What does Draco have anything to do with this?"

"The Dark Lord tasked him with killing Albus, fully expecting him to fail, as a punishment to Lucius for the failed attempt at the prophecy. Narcissa and Bellatrix made me swear an Unbreakable Vow to complete the task if Draco cannot." He suddenly looked up, a haunted look in his eyes, "Do you not understand? I am bound twice over to kill Albus!"