The Greatest Power

This had to be one of the most foolish things he had done in a long time. He should not have led her down to his office. He should not be staring at her from across his desk, waiting for recrimination to spill from her lips. Yet here he was.

He blamed her eyes. Those bright green orbs. He had never been able to say no to them when Lily turned them on him.

No, that was an excuse. There was just something about this girl that made him lose all reason.

"Well, what is it? Some of us have work to be doing." Yes, be rude. Be curt. Be dismissive. All the better to drive her away as quickly as possible. It was better for everyone involved.

She took a deep breath. He braced himself for the barrage of pent-up aggression. This had been a long time coming. Perhaps he would even get a hateful accusation of 'Deatheater scum!' Nothing he had not heard before. At least then he could try to bring himself to throw her out. Salazar knew he couldn't do it as he was now.

"Professor Snape." He narrowed his eyes expectantly, waiting for her to get it over with.

"I'm here to apologise!" she said, ducking her head shamefully. She was wringing her hands nervously, shoulders hunched in on herself. In short, the very picture of repentance.

He stared confusedly at the display. She held her position, as if waiting for...something. Coming back to himself, he snapped at her to get out of the ridiculous posture. What the devil was the little chit doing?

She looked into his eyes, and oh, those eyes of hers. They were pained, not a hint their usual brightness. The sight sent a pang through him, making his fists (heart) clench.

"I should have trusted you, yet I turned on you so quickly. Despite all you've done for Hadrian and I. Despite all the time we spent together. I have no excuse. All I can say is that I should have believed in you, and I'm sorry." She looked wretched, a show of abject misery.

But he was still thrown. Nowhere in that slew of words was the explanation he was searching for. She was apologising to him. As if their dispute had been her fault. As if she had not seen the hideous mark on his arm.

He did what he always did when confused. He lashed out. "What are you blathering on about?"

She flinched. "I know that you're furious with me for being so disrespectful and ungrateful. Especially after calling you childish and for standing you up after that. I'm sorry for those too."

"Please, spare me this sickening display of mawkishness!" He almost regretted the reaction his harsh tone caused, but it had been a long day. What he had seen in the Dursleys' minds still angered him beyond belief. What he had done was not nearly enough of a punishment. Not to mention that Albus had been far from pleased with his failure. All he wanted was to retreat to his quarters where a glass - or ten - of scotch awaited him.

Massaging his temples, he was not at all prepared for her next words. "I know you're a spy for the Headmaster." He stiffened, hiding his panic.

"Where did you hear that?" he asked quietly, tersely. Calm. No use blowing his top. First, find out how much she knew. He thanked Merlin that his office and personal quarters were more secure than a Gringotts vault. Paranoia was necessary when one was in his profession.

She bit her lip nervously. "Hadrian told me that day when he woke up in the infirmary. Apparently the Headmaster told him a while ago."

Severus gritted his teeth. Albus must have had a reason for divulging such information to a child. An impulsive, reckless child. He could not for the life of him see why. Well, it was hardly Albus' own life he was risking. Only Severus'. He sneered bitterly at the thought.