New Beginnings

Chapter Text

Heather's fifteenth birthday:

Heather walked confidently through the polished oak doors. Sitting at the desk was Griphook, whom she had appointed the Potter accounts manager three years ago.

"Greetings Heiress Potter. Right on time," the goblin said tersely.

"Hello Griphook. Has everything been prepared?"

"Indeed." He handed her a sheath of documents. "Only the authentication is needed now. Your appointment with Ragnok is in ten minutes."

"Fantastic!" she said in satisfaction. "Everything seems to be in order. It looks lovely; exactly how I envisioned it."

"Gringotts always provides top-notch service," Griphook grunted, seemingly offended by the implied slight.

She nodded amicably. Working with him through the years had taught her how to deal with these irritable creatures.

"Come, Ragnok awaits."

Heather followed her guide into another office. The Chieftain's room was much larger and more opulent than his subordinate's, showing proof of his superior financial acumen and battle prowess.

"Heiress Potter," the menacing goblin growled. "Your final testing begins when you step into this room," he said, pointing to an adjoining chamber.

Assuredly, Heather stepped right in.

...

Panting tiredly, she nonetheless gave a victorious grin.

"Congratulations, Heiress Potter. You need only sign here to make the final changes." A scroll was presented to her and she read through it carefully. Approving it, she signed with a flourish.

"Let it be known that from henceforth, Heather Lyra Potter has taken the mantle of Lady Potter." The goblins in attendance made fearsome battle cries in accordance with tradition to show their support of the ruling.

"As of now, Lady Potter is legally emancipated. We at Gringotts formally welcome her again as a mature client."

Heather bowed respectfully at the members of the warrior race. Her plans had finally come to fruition - and without tipping anyone off, too. She couldn't wait to show Rian the house.

~~~

Present time:

"You're an adult now?" Hadrian asked, shocked.

"The term is legally emancipated. I technically have all the rights of a mature witch. Except the use of my wand. The Ministry made specific stipulations for that."

"And so you're my official guardian?" he questioned excitedly.

"Yup, and as your new guardian, I got us a house to live in," she said, waving her arms around the room.

At the reminder, her brother looked around their new residence. He ran to the windows and pressed his face against the glass. "Where are we?" he repeated.

"Hmm...in the forests near a town called Ottery St Catchpole."

He murmured the name again. "You mean...?"

"Uh huh. Walking distance from the Burrow!"

Hadrian jumped for joy and tackled her into a hug. They crashed backwards into the settee behind them, laughing. "We really live here now? No more Privet Drive?"

"No more Privet Drive. No more hiding. Most importantly, no more Dursleys," Heather said firmly.

Whooping for joy, he leapt to his feet. "Well, what are we waiting for? I wanna explore our new home!"