Of Schooling and Gemini

This was it. Time for Heather to go. If she could stop hugging her brother long enough to leave, that was. What if that pig Vernon tried to hit him again? What if that beached whale Dudley resorted to H Hunting again? What if that horrid, pasty snake Volde-

"Heather, you need to leave before you're late," Hadrian reminded his sister. "Go, I'll be fine. Just remember your promises."

"Right, first in class and letters every day. Okay," Heather said, still standing there.

Rolling his eyes, Hadrian practically shoved his sister out of the door. A few more reassurances, and Heather finally started off. He waited until she was out of sight before sighing morosely. A good long mope next to his Transporting Chest seemed like a great idea...

~~~

Nervously, Heather stepped through the pillar which acted as an entrance to Platform Nine and Three Quarters. The long journey to King's Cross station by train (the Dursleys would never have deigned to drive her here) had passed by in no time at all while she brooded. Was this what empty nest syndrome felt like. She would have appreciated the irony of her being the one to actually leave if she hadn't been so down. Rian would have laughed.

Even the gleaming train that would bring her to Hogwarts held no appeal in her dejected state. She passed by other young wizards and witches hugging their families in farewell and felt her loss keenly. One large family of redheads was particularly eye-catching. A small girl, probably the youngest sister, held on tightly to several older brothers. She looked about ready to burst into tears when two of the boys, looking inordinately similar - probably twins - did something that made her burst into teary giggles instead.

Great. She missed her brother even more now, if that was even possible.

Sighing mentally for the millionth time, Heather boarded the train and found an empty compartment to wallow privately in.

No !

She shook her head sharply. Hadrian was expecting a long letter detailing every single interesting facet of her journey to Hogwarts. Self-pity was not what he wanted to read about.

She kept that in mind as two redheads crashed noisily into the room. She noticed that they were the identical twins she had seen cheering up their sister earlier.

"Can we-" the one on the left began.

"-sit here?" the other continued.

Well. That counted as interesting, right? She shrugged and gave a tiny smile in acceptance. The twins grinned - with eerily similar expressions - and sat down on either side of her.

"Our names are Fred-" the one on the right said.

"-and George Weasley. What's-" the one on her left continued.

"-your name-" the other said, alternating again.

"-lil' missy?" they finished together.

Oh my. That would take some time to get used to. At least she could now identify them. "I'm Heather Potter. Nice to meet you."

Each of the twins took her opposing hand to shake in counterpoint. What a picture she must make, with both her hands crossed and moving up and down in turn. She chuckled at the silliness.

"So, Miss Heather Potter-"

"-any relation to-"

"-Hadrian Potter, the-"

"-famed Boy-Who-Lived?"

Heather frowned and resisted the urge to snap at them defensively. "I'm his sister," she said shortly. A pause, then, "That's a horrible nickname."