The Freedom to Be

It was still dark out when Heather woke. She went to create some light before hesitating. She picked up her wand from the desk. She would have to remember to use it when casting in front of others.

Her laurel wand warmed welcomingly in her palm. This would be her first time using it, so she carefully enunciated a soft, "Lumos," while envisioning a glowing white orb. Her magic seemed to be drawn from within her towards her wand, unlike when she had to guide it outwards from her core herself.

Excited by the new sensations, Heather alternated between Nox and Lumos a few times. The more she used her wand, the easier it became. She was less tired after using her wand than she would be without. Perhaps it also acted as an amplifier. Or was it the concentration needed to nudge her magic outwards that made wandless magic more tiring?

She shelved these ponderings and attempted another spell. The Tempus told her that her internal alarm had woken her at her usual half past five despite her late night exchanging letters with Rian. She sighed, looking wistfully at the wonderfully soft and warm bed. Would she ever break that habit? Probably not; it had saved her from too many beatings over the years to be stopped now.

Shivering, Heather slipped out of her room to the communal toilets. At this early hour, there wasn't anyone else in sight.

The gleaming showers beckoned, persuading her to indulge in a heretofore rare treat. The steaming water was a far cry from the hurried washing she was used to back at Privet Drive.

Reluctantly, she stepped back into the chilly air. She stared in distaste at the 'clothing' she'd brought along. The threadbare cotton t-shirt and tattered shorts were wholly inadequate for dealing with the nippy dungeons.

Wand in hand, she transfigured the rags into something more appropriate. Dressed now in a woollen sweater and plain jeans, she felt much warmer. Definitely transfiguring all her other 'clothes'.

Another wave of her wand told her that she still had an hour till breakfast was served. She decided to take a stroll around the castle in the meantime. Putting on her robe, she exited the common room.

~~~

As expected, the castle was empty at six in the morning. The moon still hung high in the sky, throwing murky shadows across the corridors.

With a small Lumos leading the way, Heather walked through the hallways. Already, she had found several hidden nooks and empty, disused rooms. Memorising a few to seclude herself in if needed, she started for the Great Hall.

The Point Me spell was really useful in getting around the castle. Heather easily found the Great Hall by following her wand. She wondered if she could do this wandlessly.

The tables were mostly bereft, with just a few Professors and Ravenclaws in attendance. The others students would probably arrive later – breakfast had just been served, after all.

Heather quietly seated herself in an unobtrusive corner of the Slytherin table. The food was as plentiful as it was last night, if not as lavish. She ate a simple breakfast of pancakes and fruit before standing to leave.

If not for her quick reflexes, she would have bumped into the figure standing directly behind her. Startled, she muttered a reflexive apology and looked up into aggravated black eyes. Did she mention she was extremely thankful for her reflexes?

"Your lesson schedule," Professor Snape stated curtly, shoving a scroll of parchment into her hands. "Your health check-up is scheduled for next Tuesday, 4pm at the infirmary. Endeavour to be punctual-" he cut himself off, probably to bite back a harsh insult. He then swept away, black robes billowing impressively behind him.