Confessions

It turned out that Professor Snape had been patient enough to wait a week before demanding answers. Heather had briefly contemplated the idea of simply not turning up that Wednesday, but that felt too much like running away. She wasn't a coward.

Which was how she found herself sitting opposite the stern wizard as he bore holes into her with his gaze. He hadn't said anything beyond 'Enter'. He was looking deeply into her eyes, seeming to search for something. Oddly enough, her thoughts kept trying to drift towards her dismal upbringing. She pushed the memories away firmly and focussed on the present.

Narrowing his eyes shrewdly, the Professor snapped out of the staring contest he'd initiated. She wondered what he'd gleaned from that.

Severus Snape could not help attempting a silent Legilimens on the stubborn girl. It was a weaker one, given that she had hardly any mental defences. He had expected to cut through her mind like a hot knife through butter - and he had. It was when looking through her memories that he had encountered a problem. Nudging her subconscious to bring up thoughts of her childhood should have been simple for an untrained mind. Naturally, he was thus shocked by the resistance he met in the form of her sheer focus. It was plain to see that Heather Lyra was untrained in Mindmagic. However, to be able to resist an attack from a proficient Legilimens, even one not at full power, spoke of a strong mind indeed. Or, perhaps, an inordinately obstinate one.

"You and I both know that the little act you have is merely that - an act. I shall not waste our time by asking questions. Explain."

The girl drew her shoulders slightly inward in an attempt to shield herself. She was highly uncomfortable with this conversation. Good, so was he. Her lips firmed and he thought he would have to attempt to persuade her. Then she spoke.

He listened carefully as she told him, not everything, but more about growing up with her relatives. She spoke of cold nights in a cupboard and aching hunger. Of physical and emotional beatings. When she was done, she heaved a large sigh, almost seeming to deflate with her exhalation. But then she straightened her spine and looked right into his eyes. There was no victim in that gaze, no weak child. Instead, she looked proud of herself. As she rightly should.

It was then that Severus realised that he had no real need to know all this. The standing reason for wanting to investigate further had been to ensure the girl and boy received the proper aftercare needed for such situations. Clearly, that was unnecessary. The girl and boy had both emerged as mostly healthy and well-adjusted individuals. Heather Lyra, independent as she was, had rescued herself and her brother from their distasteful circumstances all the while maintaining a wholesome state of mind. It was little wonder that they had hidden all of this when experience told them that adults were untrustworthy. Why accept help from adults when none had provided aid when truly needed? Unfortunately, he was well-acquainted with their frame of mind.

"Do you wish for the Dursleys to be apprehended?" he asked, as per procedure. Whichever answer she gave, Severus would see to it personally that they got what they deserved. Not only for Lily, but for Heather Lyra and her brother as well.

As expected, the girl shook her head decisively. "We no longer have anything to do with them. Not since summer of last year." Her green eyes darkened dangerously, and Severus knew there was context hidden there that he was not privy to. "It is enough."

"As you deem fit," he said placidly. If not imprisonment in Azkaban, there were various other means to punish them. "We will be brewing Wolfsbane next week," he commented offhandedly, then returned to his marking.

He sensed the girl stare at him quietly before leaving with a soft click of the door.

His occlumency barriers finally broke and his fury rushed forth in torrents. Striding quickly to a warded door in the corner, he nearly broke it down in his rage before locking it tight behind him. Launching violent curses around the training room, he imagined the practice mannequins were the disgusting creatures that called themselves human. An Entrail-Expelling curse for the man. Another Blood-Boiling curse for the boy. And several Sectumsempra specially for that unworthy sister of Lily's.

White Heather for Protectionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें