Apologies and Punishment

Heather floated weightlessly in nothingness. Her mind was blessedly blank for once. She wasn't sure what she was doing, or even where she was. On that threshold between unconsciousness and wakefulness, she savoured the absolute state of relaxation. When was the last time she had felt so rested?

A sharp bolt of electricity shot through her senses, overwhelming her until she had no choice but to surface. She reluctantly let go of the darkness, lifting her heavy eyelids. Now that she was halfway awake, she could feel that the unpleasant sensation started from her neck and spread outward to her limbs. Grimacing, she instinctively sat up and summoned her wand. Without even taking note of her surroundings, she moved her wand in a circular motion, chanting, "Amato Animo Animato Animagus," as she had done every morning for the past few months. That done, she gave a lazy flick to cancel the charm causing the lightning bolts of shock and flopped back onto the bed.

She had set the alarm spell on her necklace a few weeks ago, worried that she would be too tired to wake before sunrise every morning to chant the animagus spell. Wouldn't want months of effort to be wasted in a moment of fatigue.

Speaking of which, she stifled a yawn. Her eyes finally adjusted to the darkness of the room. To her shock, she wasn't in her dorm room. Her gaze darted about. She realised that she was in the infirmary. What happened? She wracked her brain for an answer, cursing her drowsiness for slowing her mind.

Just then, the door opened, drawing her attention. Who could that be at this early hour? She had set her alarm for an hour before sunrise. Madam Pomfrey, perhaps? She quickly sat up again, not wanting to be in such a vulnerable position in the presence of a possible stranger.

Once she recognised the visitor, she relaxed.

"What do you think you are doing Potter?" the deep voice demanded. They both looked at the wand held in her hand.

She chuckled sheepishly. "Nothing?" she lilted. She quickly put her wand away. "You're up early, Professor Snape."

The man narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "That had better not been you trying to cast spells after fainting from exhaustion you foolish girl."

"What?" she exclaimed, eyes widening in surprise. "Fainting from exhaustion?"

"Do you not remember what happened yesterday morning?" His voice held a tinge of worry, though she was sure he would sooner hug Sirius than admit it.

Heather tilted her head thoughtfully. Yesterday morning... The last she recalled was arguing with Hadrian in the Great Hall, then going for Potions class... She gasped. The Erumpent Potion. Putting the powdered horn too early. Groaning, she buried her head in her hands. What a dumb mistake! "You idiot," she muttered under her breath. Snapping her head back up, she asked, "Was anyone hurt? I think I tried to put up a shield..." If anyone had gotten injured because of her, she would never forgive herself.

Professor Snape scowled, saying, "You were able to erect the shield in time, fortunately." He made a disgusted sound. "I did not think I would need to tell you this, but from your recent actions, I believe I shall have to. What you did was extremely irresponsible, you reckless, dunderheaded brat! What you did today could have killed everyone in the room! I would ask what you were thinking, but it is clear that you were not!"

Heather looked down in shame, accepting the scolding. She knew she was to blame. Guilt ate at her. Erumpent horn was notoriously explosive. If she had been just a millisecond slower... She shuddered to think of the consequences.

"Well? An explanation for your idiocy is the least you could provide, after that disaster." She could hear the scorn in his words. She fought the urge to cringe.