Slithering Serpents

Heather had had to reassure a distraught Hadrian after that revelation. They were all idiots, the lot of them. Her Rian was the kindest and gentlest boy she knew. Why anyone suspected that he was behind the petrifications, she couldn't fathom. One of his best friends was a muggleborn, not to mention their own mother.

Hadrian would only be satisfied if he cleared the air, however, so he insisted on explaining matters to that Puff. Apparently, they were friends, or they had been. Not wanting to risk him being ganged up on by irrational Hufflepuffs, Heather insisted on accompanying him.

Due to the heavy blizzard, Hadrian's Herbology class was cancelled. As it was her free period as well, it was the perfect time to look for Finch-Fletchley. She and her brother found a gaggle of badgers in avid discussion in the library.

"...Potter was clearly out to get Justin, he's made it no secret that he's muggleborn, after all," a gangly boy muttered. Heather bristled at the accusation. Hadrian was doing nothing of the sort! No promises for another Potter gunning for this Puff though. Her brother shook his head at her.

Clearing his throat, Rian asked, "Do you know where we might find Justin?" The group looked horror-struck. Probably thought they were here to off the boy, the imbeciles.

"W-why? Here to finish what you started?" a timid voice stuttered out. She knew it - predictable.

Her brother frowned, which made the ninnies recoil. "No, just wanted to explain what happened is all. I meant no harm."

"Right, no harm. Telling that snake to bite Justin wouldn't have harmed him at all," that first boy retorted. Then he paled dramatically, remembering who he was speaking to. "Just so you know, the Macmillan family comes from a long line of wizards," he said hastily.

"I've got nothing against muggleborns!" Rian exclaimed in annoyance. Heather could have told him to save his breath. It was useless to argue when they wanted to find a scapegoat for the world's problems.

The Macmillan boy then said disbelievingly, "Rumour has it that you hate your muggle relatives."

At this, Heather couldn't hide her fury anymore. They didn't have the right to talk about the Dursleys! "You shouldn't talk about matters in which you are uninformed, Macmillan. Your ignorance shows," she snapped condescendingly. The boy turned crimson in anger as she smirked.

Turning on her heel, she said to Hadrian, "Come on. It's clear these people," she sneered, making it clear she meant 'idiots', "are stuck in their pig-headedness." Then she strode off with her brother in tow. She didn't know where she was going, but away sounded fantastic right now.

Heather walked around a corner only to narrowly avoid a collision with the hulking groundskeeper.

"Oh, sorry Hagrid! Wasn't paying attention to my surroundings," Heather apologised politely. Her brother was friends with the man, thus she was amiable terms with him, despite his bias against Slyths.

"No problem! I shoulda been lookin' where I was goin'," the half-giant said.

That was when Heather noticed that he was carrying some sort of bird. Her brother beat her to the punch. "What do you have there? Is that a dead bird?"

The large man nodded, holding the carcass out. "Yea', second one killed 'ready. Someone's been messin' 'round wit' the roosters." He frowned heavily. "Gon' ask Perfessor Flitwick to put up some Shield Charms 'round the pens."

"Oh, well we shouldn't keep you from your work then, Hagrid," Heather said shortly, still miffed from the conversations with the badgers.

After her brother made arrangements for tea, they walked off. She started towards Gryffindor Tower, intending to walk Hadrian back in case anyone got any ideas. She turned into a dark corridor, a shortcut to the tower, and stumbled over something on the floor. Only Rian's firm hold kept her upright. Quickly, she cast a Lumos to see better - then wished she hadn't.