𝟒. 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐘

𝐒𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐓 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐒𝐇𝐄'𝐃 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐔𝐀𝐋 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐒. Like seriously. She was often considered dull. From her dry sense of humour, her resting bitch face and her ability to always end up in an argument. No one seemed to look past that, to see the layer underneath. Where Scarlett was just a girl, trying her best at not fucking everything up.

Jackie and Skylar all stood around their table. Their safety goggles placed safely on top of their noses as Jackie mixed the experiment. Scarlett had informed the group that her job was to be moral support. She didn't trust herself not to fuck it up. Especially since the last time she'd done an experiment herself, the firefighters were called. Best not do that again.

So clearly she was doing something right this time. She was actually in a group. A group that weren't eyeing her in the corner of their eyes, waiting for her to snap. She never understood that though, she'd never started anything with someone who didn't deserve it.

The more she thought about it, the less she actually remembered why she wanted to go back to the constant struggle of London. Where people were rude, always complaining about the weather and what not. But she pushed that thought away. Scarlett wanted to go back to London, it was her home.

She did, really. Really?

It was quiet for the most part, Scarlett and Skylar sharing small moments but Jackie stayed focused the whole time. Scarlett's eyes shifted to watch Jackie. She seemed to just get it, without even having to think about it. She wished she could be as focused and intelligent as her. Jackie just seemed to know it all. The group stood in silence for awhile, focusing on the experiment.

Scarlett hated it, she hated silence. It always made her freeze up with nerves, and start overthinking everything that had happened that day. She debated shoving in her AirPods. But she soon decided against it, she didn't want to look rude. That's why Scarlett always brang them with her wherever she went, as a safety net so she had something to listen to. So, when a perky brunette girl came rushing over towards their table, Scarlett couldn't help but let out a small breathe of relief.

"Grace" the teacher groaned, disappointed.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry" Grace rushed out, before running to their table. "Sky. You know the new girl who was sitting with Cole Walter?" She began, arms pushing up on the table. Her eyes stayed glued on Skylar, clearly she hadn't noticed the two other girls at the table.

Scarlett knew she was talking about Jackie, she was the only one that had sat with Cole after all. But instead of telling the girl, she stayed silent. Waiting for her to realise just who stood next to her. Embarrassing.

"Grace" Skylar warned, or attempted to.

Grace ignored him, continuing her rambling. "Apparently her mum was some fashion designer, and she died six months ago in a car accident with her whole family. It was really sad, actually" she gossiped, without a care. "Oh, and don't even get me started on-"

Scarlett raised her brows. Fuck, Jackie really had been through some shit. Just as Grace went to gossip about the other new girl, Jackie shot up from her experiment. "Hi" she said calmly, turning to face the girl.

Fuck. "Holy sh-" the quirky girl started. She hadn't expected the girl she'd been talking about to be right next to her. And then she turned back to Skylar and finally saw the person next to him. She was glad she'd stopped before she got to Scarlett's part. Scarlett scared her slightly.

Though before Grace could continue, Skylar interrupted her. "What she means is sorry" he firmly told Grace, his way of making her say it or encouraging.