Chapter 31: Christmas dinner

Leonie Waldorf

You know that feeling that bolts throughout your body alerting you you're in danger? Well I have that same feeling right now

I'm standing in front of Rowan James with the clear knowledge that my presence isn't wanted.

My body aches to run away but I know I can't. First because these are six inch heels and I promised lan I would stand up to his father.

If this was a casting call to be Ian's girlfriend and Rowan James was the casting director the moment he saw my headshot it would've been thrown into the garbage.

It's no secret he isn't fond of me but it's the holidays. Even Christmas brings the best out of people.

"I was looking for the dining room." I say swallowing the shakiness in my voice.

"To your left." His voice is much thicker and deeper than lan's. It's the type of voice you hear only in your nightmares.

I nod and turn onto my heels heading left with Rowan's presence still suffocating the hall. He's definitely the monster lying underneath my bed I would warn my sister about.

Walking into the dining room my heels click with each movement and I place the glass try on the table. If Ivy were seeing this dining room she would ask if Rowan had any other sons she could marry. You can almost smell how rich he is.

The dining room is the perfect example of Rowan James with a black marble table, gold clandler, and gold accents around the gray velvet chairs. There's even a family portrait placed at the center of the room.
It's only lan and his father of course. There is not a trace of lan's mother; it's like she never existed.

"Nice choice of attire." Rowan's voice brings my staring to a halt. He knows the words he just bit out were a lie. Rowan doesn't like the sight of my red over the knee dress. I know because his eyes are lighting a fire onto my back. "Nice choice of jewelry too."

I'm wearing the emerald diamond necklace lan's mother once wore and the matching bracelet lan gifted me as an early Christmas gift. I wasn't going to ditch the opportunity to honor lan's mother because Rowan can't even mutter the woman's name.